Several readers are reporting an issue where batteries received through Apple's massive recall of portable batteries manufactured by Sony for some PowerBook G4 and iBook models do not fit properly in their machines.
We previously reported on an issue where some batteries do not function properly (will not power the system) and another issue where batteries shipped by Apple are physically damaged, but not defective on an operational level.
The new reports indicate that some batteries do not fit flush with the host systems, causing difficulty with removal and insertion.
Martin Kempson writes:
"My replacement battery for a 12" PowerBook is an incorrect fit. Am I alone? Will there be a recall on the replacements?"
A poster to Apple's Discussion boards adds:
"I've had exactly the same problem. my original 12" PB battery fits perfectly. My replacement needs to be forced into place and doesn't lock as it is supposed to. I called apple and demanded a new replacement for the replacement. This arrived today with exactly the same problem. So i now have 1 battery that might go on fire any minute (but fits!) and 2 batteries that have to be forced in and could fall out during use."
If you are having a similar issue, you should call AppleCare for further details.
- PowerBook G4/iBook battery recall (#8): More defective replacement batteries
- PowerBook G4/iBook battery recall (#7): Some replacement batteries defective
- PowerBook G4/iBook battery recall (#6): Some countries require dealer exchange
- PowerBook G4/iBook battery recall (#5): Some replacement batteries damaged; Shipping discrepancies
- PowerBook G4/iBook battery recall (#4): Some countries apparently require original battery before replacement
- PowerBook G4/iBook battery recall (#3): Replacement may take a month or more; Serial number ranges updated to exclude some models; more
- PowerBook G4/iBook battery recall (#2): Some iBook G3s also eligible; continuing problems with serial number, date ranges
- Apple announces recall of 1.8 million PowerBook G4, iBook batteries; Recall system not working for some; Serial number range discrepancies