Some users have reported issues with launching various applications after updating to Mac OS X 10.4.9.
One reader writes:
"I just updated to Mac OS X 10.4.9 and now Final Cut Pro won't open."
This issue is generally soluble through workarounds listed in our tutorial "What to do when a Mac OS X application will not launch." The following fixes are particularly effective:
Delete appropriate .plist files A non-launching application can be the result of a corrupt or otherwise defunct application-associated .plist file (for more information on exactly what a .plist file is, see this series of articles) Most of these files are stored in a folder named Preferences, and located in the Library folder of your home directory, e.g.:
Go to the ~/Library/Preferences folder, and search for any .plist files that may be associated with the application with which you are having trouble. Drag the .plist file(s) [many applications have more than one associated .plist file, so be careful to scour for all of them] to the Desktop, then re-attempt launching the application.
Update prebinding Many cases of application launch-failure can be resolved easily by simply updating prebinding, via the following steps:
- Log in as an administrator
- Open the Terminal (located in Applications/Utilities)
- Type: sudo update_prebinding -root / -force and press Return.
- When prompted for a password, enter your admin password, and press Return again. The process may take a few minutes, and you may see various messages flash by. The process is complete when the Terminal returns to a normal prompt.
- Type exit and press Return.
- Check for the capability to launch the problematic application.
- Release notes
- Update procedure recommendation
- Common workarounds for when things go wrong post-update
- Downgrading to Mac OS X 10.4.8 (uninstalling Mac OS X 10.4.9)
- Files modified by this update
- AirPort: Loss of connectivity, card not recognized, more
- Application launch problems
- Bluetooth device issues
- Classic: Will not run, other issues
- Desktop icons missing
- Disk images not mounting
- Eject key issues: Longer duration before action takes place
- External optical drives: hardware errors
- Final Cut Pro/Express: Capture issues, performance concerns
- Finder persistently crashes and re-launches
- Frozen windows
- iSync issues/general synchronization problems
- Mail.app: junk filters not working
- Microsoft Office: Various issues
- Networking problems with Mac OS 9 systems
- Persistent booting into Windows
- Printer problems, fixes
- Problems starting up
- Quicken: .Mac backup failure: Fixes
- Resolved issues
- Secure site access broken: fixes
- Segmentation faults
- Server connection drops
- Third-party device issues (Nikon Capture NX, Griffin AirClick, more)
- Update to Final Cut Pro 5.1.4 for best performance
- Volume significantly louder: boon for some, drawback for others
- VPN connectivity issues
- WWAN update included, how to remove