Wednesday, June 18
Crashes Several users have reported crashes in Firefox 3.0, either at launch, when loading any URL, or when loading specific URLs. Sample reports include:
- "Firefox 3 crashes whenever I attempt to go to any URL" -- Doug
- "I have been using Firefox successfully for for 3 years, updating regularly. However, I have now deleted and re-installed Version 3.0 four times in an effort to upgrade to the latest version and it crashes each time before opening."
- "Every attempt to load MSNBC web site results in FireFox 3 crashing."
Potential fixes for this issue include:
- Delete the Firefox plist file: ~/Library/org.mozilla.firefox.plist
- Delete the Firefox application from the /Applications directory and re-downloading it can eliminate the problem.
- Backup your bookmarks then delete the Firefox folder from ~/Library/Application Support
Missing bookmarks As noted by Mozilla, if you previously tried a Firefox 3 pre-release version such as Firefox 3 Beta, went back to Firefox 2, and have now upgraded to Firefox 3, any bookmarks you added since you went back to Firefox 2 will be missing if you used the same profile for both versions. This happens because Firefox 3 uses the places.sqlite file to store bookmarks while Firefox 2 uses bookmarks.html.
A workaround is available here.
Add-on incompatibility Note that some add-ons are incompatible with Firefox 3.0 and will need to be updated for compliance.
MacFixIt reader Ron Denardo writes:
"I installed Firefox 3.0 and it will not allow me to re-install AdBlocker saying that it is incompatible with 3.0. I am running Mac OS 10.5.3. I am very frustrated because AdBlocker is one of my favorite ad-ons. My son can run it on Linux."
Network user problems Firefox 3.0 may not properly operate under network user accounts. Several readers have reported this issue::
- "I have been unable to make it work on two seperate machines when logged in as a network user (i.e. Home folder on a Mac 10.5.3 server). Both clients were 10.4.11. In both cases the URL address bar didn't work and neither did bookmarks. When running on the same machine as a local user it worked fine, and old bookmarks were updated. I dumped the the Mozilla plist an"
- "I downloaded Firefox 3.0 here at work and had difficulty getting it to work when using it from my network account. I would type a URL in the address bar and hit return and nothing would happen. However, if I was logged in as Administrator or logged in on local account it worked great. I posted on several forums but have not gotten any responses. I haven't seen anything at all regarding network accounts." -- Marcus Guerrero
- "Firefox 3 appears to have issues with user accounts not located on the main drive. At the very least it cannot deal with a network user account being located on a remote OS X Server. When I updated to Firefox 3, I immediately noticed that Bookmarks were not visible under bookmarks menu. The Search engine field had a generic icon and when I selected 'Manage Search Engines', the dialog box was frozen and I couldn't get out of it without quitting Firefox. When I tried to enter a URL into the URL field and press 'enter', nothing happens. However, when double-click on a URL in an e-mail message, that appears to work.
The obvious, albeit less-than-ideal, workaround is to switch to a local account. Downgrading to Firefox 2 also resolves the issue.
Problems with iWeb photo galleries, sites Firefox 3.0 exhibits issues when rendering sites created by iWeb, including photo galleries.
MacFixIt reader Sky Tribell writes:
"I upgraded my iMac 10.5.3 to Firefox 3 and my PC with XP to Firefox 3. Neither can see the pictures I posted through iWeb at web.mac.com/name. Safari, IE 6 & 7 & Firefox 2 sees the pictures just fine."
Another reader adds: "Firefox 3 does not display iWeb photo galleries. This worked fine with Firefox 2."
If you are experiencing a similar issue, please let us know.
CPU usage spikes Some users are reporting spikes in processor usage generated by Firefox 3.0. One reader writes:
"Firefox 3.0 a CPU hog on my 1.33ghz G4. After a few minutes i hit 100%, it's Firefox 3.0 every time. Not experiencing the same issues with Safari or Camino.
Add-ons won't install If add-ons will not properly install after the update to Firefox 3.0, try backing up your bookmarks then deleting the Firefox folder from ~/Library/Application Support
MacFixIt reader Chris Boughton writes:
"I have had an issue where the add-on update to NoScript and others downloads but won't install. I have deleted the Preferences and caches and am reinstalling my add-ons from scratch."
Form buttons not appearing correctly MacFixIt reader Joe Ward reports that form buttons were not appearing correctly after the update -- a problem solved by erasing a problematic hidden file in his /~Library/Preferences directory as such:
"I was having a problem with the full submit buttons appearing. Found it was a preference problem, Fixed problem by renaming my User Preference folder to Preference.off and then copying all visible files into a new Preference folder. It was a hidden file that was causing a display problem. Working okay now."
Proxy problems It appears that Firefox 3.0 does not function properly behind a Microsoft Proxy Server.