Staff Pick: Display Maestro
Display Maestro is a menubar add-on that gives you enhanced control over the displays you have attached to the computer (both external and internal). By default Apple keeps display settings simple, and only provides those that are supported by the manufacturer and the operating system. By ignoring the manufacturer's limits, Display Maestro enables a variety of custom resolutions and color bit depths, as well as scan and refresh rates which allow for fine-tuned customization of the displays. Please note that while this can be exceptionally beneficial for certain applications and situations, take care in how you customize these settings since some can be potentially unsafe for the display.
The latest version (1.0.4) provides the following new features:
- Displays now show by name instead of by device number.
- Unsafe display resolutions now show in bold red text in the menu.
- The current display resolution is now checked. New Feature: Displays warning and revert if unsafe resolution chosen.
- Ability to restore color sync settings.
- Shows alternative Hz ratings.
- Grab detailed information about each display.
- Ability to set stretched resolutions on LCDs.
- Merged the unsafe resolutions & all colors option.
You can download this update from the developer's website: http://www.koingosw.com/products/displaymaestro.php
Other Recent Utility Updates:
- Net Monitor Sidekick 1.2.0b2 - Monitor the IP and port communication on a remote computer.
- IPNetMonitorX 2.3 - Troubleshoot and optimize network performace using a variety of diagnostic tools.
- Default Folder X 4.2 - Gain fast access to folders and custom locations in save dialogues.
- Eudora Mailbox Cleaner 4.9 - Migrate from Eudora to Mail and Thunderbird email clients.
- MacDust 3.07 - System optimization, maintenance and drive cleaning utility.
- FileFinder 1.4.8 - Alternative to spotlight for locating files on your disk.
- Express Burn 4.26 - Simple disk burning program with drag-n-drop support.
- PlugINCool 1.2 - A plugin manager for many OS X applications.
- MacCleanse 1.4.1 - System maintenance utility for removing unneeded and unused files.