Users note various problems with USB devices after updating to Mac OS X 10.4.7, particularly a situation where devices must be unplugged then re-connected in order to be recognized, or devices take an inordinately long time to be recognized.
Certain peripherals (USB, FireWire, PCI, SCSI, etc.) can also prevent proper sleep routines after the update to Mac OS X 10.4.7. Removing the offending device usually solves the issue.
Some users with critical devices that cause problems under Mac OS X 10.4.7 are choosing to revert to Mac OS X 10.4.6 in order to retain functionality.
Although we generally do not recommend this procedure, it appears that reverting to an earlier version of the IOUSBFamily.kext file -- a kernel extension that supports USB connectivity -- can resolve problems with some USB devices under Mac OS X 10.4.7.
We've noted this fix in the past for various device issues, particularly with printers.
Before attempting this procedure, you should note that mixing and matching system components can cause various ostensibly unrelated issues, and you should always have a solid back (preferably a clone) on hand in case anything goes wrong.
The file being replaced is:
- AirPort connectivity issues -- fixes
- Bluetooth: Erratic device behavior, loss of connectivity
- Cellular data modems now natively supported
- CS2 apps (Photoshop, etc.) not launching -- potential fix
- Digital camera problems -- not recognized, workaround
- Don't skip update verification process
- Dozens of SMB processes spawned -- fix
- Example of the dangers in continuing work while update is applying
- External drives not recognized -- fixes
- FireWire device recognition issues
- Increased fan activity -- fixes
- Intel re-release: Determining whether you have the old or new version, more
- Internet access problems caused by DNS errors
- iSync issues
- MacBook Pro screen failures with external display connected
- MacBook (13"): Vertical multi-colored lines at startup after Mac OS X 10.4.7 update
- Microsoft Word crashing frequently -- fix
- Palm synchronization issues
- Printing issues -- fixes
- Problems caused by devices connected during update
- Problems starting up after update -- fixes
- Quark Xpress 6.5: Problems with fonts, temporary fix
- Rosetta problems -- potential fix
- Safari: Problems accessing secure sites, crashes, more
- SoundSticks unrecognized -- fix
- Spotlight will be re-enabled after update
- SuperDrive burn issues -- fix
- Third-party displays causing freezes
- Trackpad difficulties -- input not recognized
- Two-finger click functionality now enabled on 15" MacBook Pros, PowerBooks
- USB problems (device recognition, preventing your Mac from sleeping etc.) -- fixes
- Widget "phone home" function actually a security measure
- Windows sharing and processor hogging (system slowdown)