MacFixIt reader Luca Bonatti reports an issue where dozens of inexplicable SMB-based (file sharing) processes are running. Here's a snapshot of his process list:
- 2936 smbd root 0.00 296.00 KB 29.78 MB
- 2939 smbd root 0.00 296.00 KB 29.78 MB
- 2942 smbd root 0.00 296.00 KB 29.78 MB
- 2945 smbd root 0.00 296.00 KB 29.78 MB
- 2948 smbd root 0.00 296.00 KB 29.78 MB
- 2951 smbd root 0.00 304.00 KB 29.78 MB
- 2960 smbd root 0.00 296.00 KB 29.78 MB
- 2963 smbd root 0.00 304.00 KB 29.78 MB
- 2966 smbd root 0.00 296.00 KB 29.78 MB
"The only Windows service I have is that I use Windows printing. However, these processes are opened even when I am on a network from which Windows printing is not accessible. The processes (owned by root) seem to do no harm, but they were not there before 10.4.7 and it's not good to have all these processes opened for no reason. Has anybody seen this. I enclose an example file of all processes opened during a 2 hour session."
Use the following process, adapted from the information supplied on the mailing list:
Download Lingon and launch it.
- Click on the "System Daemons" tab.
- Look for the item labeled "org.samba.smbd" and double-click it.
- On the next screen, click the " " button the "ProgramArgments" field.
- Enter "-F" (without quotes).
- Click the "Save & Load" button
This should stop the SMB processes from running in replication and hogging system resources, but will also deny you access to some SMB services.
- AirPort connectivity issues -- fixes
- Bluetooth: Erratic device behavior, loss of connectivity
- Cellular data modems now natively supported
- CS2 apps (Photoshop, etc.) not launching -- potential fix
- Digital camera problems -- not recognized, workaround
- Don't skip update verification process
- Dozens of SMB processes spawned -- fix
- Example of the dangers in continuing work while update is applying
- External drives not recognized -- fixes
- FireWire device recognition issues
- Increased fan activity -- fixes
- Intel re-release: Determining whether you have the old or new version, more
- Internet access problems caused by DNS errors
- iSync issues
- MacBook Pro screen failures with external display connected
- MacBook (13"): Vertical multi-colored lines at startup after Mac OS X 10.4.7 update
- Microsoft Word crashing frequently -- fix
- Palm synchronization issues
- Printing issues -- fixes
- Problems caused by devices connected during update
- Problems starting up after update -- fixes
- Quark Xpress 6.5: Problems with fonts, temporary fix
- Rosetta problems -- potential fix
- Safari: Problems accessing secure sites, crashes, more
- SoundSticks unrecognized -- fix
- Spotlight will be re-enabled after update
- SuperDrive burn issues -- fix
- Third-party displays causing freezes
- Trackpad difficulties -- input not recognized
- Two-finger click functionality now enabled on 15" MacBook Pros, PowerBooks
- USB problems (device recognition, preventing your Mac from sleeping etc.) -- fixes
- Widget "phone home" function actually a security measure
- Windows sharing and processor hogging (system slowdown)