Apple has released the much anticipated OS X 10.6.4 update. This update addresses a number of specific issues with the OS, including compatibility with Adobe CS3, SMB networking, VPN connections, and trackpad issues on MacBook systems.
Specifically, the update addresses these following issues:
- resolve an issue that causes the keyboard or trackpad to become unresponsive
- resolve an issue that may prevent some Adobe Creative Suite 3 applications from opening
- address issues copying, renaming, or deleting files on SMB file servers
- improve reliability of VPN connections
- resolve a playback issue in DVD Player when using Good Quality deinterlacing
- resolve an issue editing photos with iPhoto or Aperture in full screen view
- improve compatibility with some braille displays
The update is about 315MB in size (for those updating from OS 10.6.3) and should be available through Software Update as well as a standalone installer from the Apple support website (download pages are not available yet).
For more information on the update, check out the following two knowledgebase articles:
As with all software updates, especially OS updates, be sure to fully back up your system beforehand and prepare for the update to reduce the probability of errors. We have a recent article outlining the steps to take, so be sure to read it and make sure your system is ready before updating.