As we expected, Apple today released OS X 10.6.5 for Mac users to install. The update improves a number of features, including graphics drivers, aspects of the printing system, OpenType font management, and a number of networking details.
The update is rather large at between 500MB and 700MB via software update, depending on the system being updated. It should also show up in standalone Combo and Delta updaters (expect these to be much larger in size than the update via Software Update) on the Apple Support Downloads page soon.
The specifically updated features according to the installer include the following:
- Improve reliability with Microsoft Exchange servers
- Address performance of some image-processing operations in iPhoto and Aperture
- Address stability and performance of graphics applications and games
- Resolve a delay between print jobs
- Address a printing issue for some HP printers connected to an AirPort Extreme
- Resolve an issue when dragging contacts from Address Book to iCal
- Address an issue where dragging an item from a stack causes the Dock to not automatically hide
- Resolve an issue with Wikipedia information not displaying correctly in Dictionary
- Improve performance of MainStage on certain Mac systems
- Resolve spacing issues with OpenType fonts
- Improve reliability with some Bluetooth braille displays
- Resolve a VoiceOver issue when browsing some Web sites with Safari 5
For more information about this update, see About the Mac OS X v10.6.5 Update.
As always, be sure to fully back up your system before applying this update, and possibly consider allowing others to test it before installing it yourself. We recommend you follow our steps in preparing for and installing OS X updates, especially if you have had problems with your system (slow-downs, crashes, etc.).
If you have a version of OS X that is before OS X 10.6.4, Software Update will include all files necessary to bring you up to the latest version. If you would like to install a prior version to OS X 10.6.5, go to the Apple support downloads page and search for the Combo updater for the version you are interested in (e.g., "10.6.3 Combo"). Keep in mind you cannot downgrade with one of these installers, so if you want to downgrade your OS, you will need to reinstall, or restore from a Time Machine backup, and then run the desired combo updater.