Combining a comfortable fit with excellent sound for the money, Klipsch's Image S4 and S4i have long been some of our favorite earphones here at CNET. That said, I've seen some complaints about them not being durable enough, especially for sporting activities. Well, Klipsch has apparently heard those criticisms and smartly made a ruggedized version of the earphone that's simply called the Image S4i Rugged.
Like the original S4i, the Rugged has an MSRP of $99.99, and according to Klipsch, sounds exactly the same. It also has the same Apple-friendly inline remote/microphone that probably won't fully work with a many Android mobile devices. (Hopefully, Klipsch will do a non-Apple version of this product in the future.)
Here's a quick look at the features Klipsch is highlighting in its marketing materials. The earphone is due to ship later this month.
- All-weather design resists moisture and functions through extreme elements
- Same award-winning acoustics as the Image S4
- Ruggedized with tough rubber moldings
- Extra large three-button remote for easy control during outdoor activity
- Full music and call control on select Apple products
- Directional mic for hands-free phone calls
- Patented oval ear tips provide comfortable wear for hours
- Includes zippered carrying case
- Available in four colors (yellow, orange, blue and red)
- Price: $99.99
- Shipping in late July