"Beautiful Sound!"5.0 starson by Normand_Mcnelly
Pros: See in summary
Cons: See in summary
Summary: After returning 2 failed (video problems) Onkyo TX NR609 receivers, I gave this Denon a try and am happy I did. It has gorgeous sound and was easy to set up and calibrate and has a wide array of features, including Apple Airplay.*** P.S. IF you will buy this Denon AVR-1912 I suggest you have compare prices before you decide at: www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004U403XQ?ie=UTF8&ref_=dp_olp_new&condition=new#?ie=UTF8&tag=***************&********=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957
1) Beautiful sound! Dolby ProLogic IIz; 7 discrete amps!
2) 6 HDMI ports
3) 2 year warranty
3) Ease of setup; Audyssey automatic calibration of speakers with included microphone
4) "Airplay" for use with Apple products--this is very cool.
5) No need to buy expensive Wifi adapater. This will use any wireless bridge to allow you to connect to internet (I bought one for $50).
6) Pandora, Rhapsody, and Napster!
7) Attractive looking with rounded corners and matte black finish
8) On-screen menus and volume control (Pioneer does not have this feature)
9) USB port on front of receiver for Iphone or Ipod connection (using the Apple USB cord)
1) Difficult to use remote control (note: You have to press the AMP button on the remote first THEN Menu button before you can access the Setup Wizard). Confusing instructions on setting up remote to work with other devices. I still cannot get the "Quick Select" buttons to work, and will have to contact technical support for advice. Will update this post with instructions when/if I obtain them.
2) No manual! Instead they give you a CD with PDF of the manual. I found this annoying since my PC is in a different room than the receiver and going back and forth to follow step-by-steps was frustrating. You can print pages out of course, but a hard copy of the manual would have been my preference. On the up side...no bulky manual to file away, and I have the CD smartly stored away and a saved PDF of the manual on my computer for future reference.
3) Front USB port is not compatible with the IPad. (Airplay does, however, work with Ipad)
The unit does not seem to run hot, and from what I have read, Denon receivers enjoy a long and stable life. Based on what I have experienced so far, I highly recommend this unit over the Onkyo TX NR609 and even the Pioneer VSX-1021-K, which I also tried. I could not tell the difference in sound between the Denon and Pioneer, but the Pioneer does not have on-screen menus or volume, which I found very annoying. Pioneer also wants an outrageous $150 for their Wifi adapter. Both the Pioneer and Denon sound better than the Onkyo.
Updated on Aug 30, 2011
Updated on Nov 1, 2011Edit link
Suggest compare prices before you decide at: beam.to/Denon-AVR-1912