"Great blu-ray player at a bargain price."4.5 starson by sirbflo114
Pros: 1. Picture and sound quality of blu-ray.
2. Excellent at upconverting regular dvd players.
3. Never had a freezing issue at all.
4. Easy to update firmware.
5. Amazon Video On Demand
6. Bargain Price
Cons: 1. No coaxial output
Summary: I've been searching for a blu-ray player for a while and I decided on this based on all the great user reviews from various websites and it's great features. After watching like 25 movies, I would rate this player a 4.5 out of 5. Here are my pros and cons:
1. The most important reason why I bought this player... The picture quality of blu-ray will make your jaw drop. The picture quality is crystal clear where you can see every little detail even in fast moving situations. Plus, it sounds great out of either my television or home theatre.
2. Upconversion of regular dvds... This is very important to me considering that I have a huge collection of regular dvds and my regular sony dvd player was excellent at upconverting. Well, I watched plenty of regular dvds on my panasonic and I am amazed how great it upconverts. I saw district 9 on regular dvd and was shocked how the picture looked. The picture looked so realistic at times especially the overhead shots of the alien camp. I also saw a perfect getaway on dvd and the jungle scenes were breathtaking. I could only imagine how much better the blu-ray version would look like.
3. Never ever had a freezing issue out of all my movies. I did use the latest 2.2 version firmware so maybe that could have fixed any past freezing issues. I suggest everyone to update their firmware and it's very easy to do if you follow the steps.
4. Easy to setup Amazon Video On Demand and it works great. While Amazon VOD costs more money than netflix, it is far superior to the very little, lame selection movies of netflix "free" streaming. I still much prefer to rent by mail from either blockbuster or netflix and watch a higher quality dvd or blu-ray over any lower quality streaming though.
5. Bargain prices that I have seen for this player.
1. No coaxial output. It doesn't really effect my home theater setup but it should have a coaxial output.