Pros Oustanding picture quality! Easy to setup wireless streaming. Comes pre-loaded with Apps, Netflix, VUDU, Pandora and many more.
Best value available today.
Cons The load time is a little slow, 10-15 seconds but other than that, absolutely nothing.
Summary I purchased a Sony S360 and the Samsung at the same time for different rooms. I wanted one for streaming, the other just being standard.
Just for fun, I hooked each unit up to a different HD TV and the picture quality from the Samsung was superior. I tested this with four different Blueray movies each as well as standard DVD's. What was particularly evident was the way that the Samsung improved the clarity on some of my older DVD's, while the Sony did not.
I have read some of the other postings about the connectivity problems associated with this player. But I found this not to be the case at all! Simply follow the directions.
I am using a D-Link 655 router (after testing 3 others) due to its better area coverage. And here is a HINT for those of you who are not techies.
If you have any problems connecting wirelessly open your router software to where it gives you the ability to add a device, begin the Samsung setup and when it asks for a PIN, instead of using that take advantage of the one button PBC (WPS) setup. Push one button on the setup and then push one button from your router software and they are connected!
The apps on this unit are terrific. The Samsung unit is approximately 90 feet from the router and shows a signal quality of 8 out of 10 when streaming Netflix. No loss of signal or degraded picture quality. This goes for VUDU, Pandora, Weather and the rest.
I must admit that in the past I have been a fan of just Sony and Pansonic devices. This new Samsung BD player has certainly changed that.
For the price, this is the best BD player available!
Pros Everything about this player is great. Easy to use, easy to set up. It has great features and plays beautifully.
Cons I havent found a single con yet!
Summary In my opinion this is the BEST Blu-ray player out there for the money! Very, very happy! Honestly I only bought this because I could connect to Netflix and watch streaming movies on my tv. The sales rep at Comp USA showed me this model and told me it was not just wifi ready it was ready to go right out of the box. So after I hooked it up (a few minutes) I quickly found out it was way more awesome than I knew. After all, I only bought it for one reason. It exceeded my expectations.
Pros 1) Excellent blu-ray video and audio
2) Large app selection.
3) Pandora, Netflix all setup within minutes and work flawlessly.
4) Boot time for a disc (<10 sec) and streaming Netflix (<30 sec).
5) Functional remote.
6) Sleek piano black console.
Cons 1) Will not work with WPA2 and/or TKI encryption!
2) Diagnostic messages and setup not clear.
3) Fix: Set router to WPA, change password to < 10 char all numeric, reset player by pressing stop for 5 sec, update firmware, auto connect to network.
Summary Does not support WPA2 encryption!! but GREAT once fixed!!
Wifi connection issues are well known with this unit (Google it). After much research and many iterations, this worked for me.
1) Disable your router encryption (no worries only temporary).
2) Change your network password to all numeric and < 10 characters.
3) Reset the blu-ray player by pressing and holding the stop button on the console 5 seconds (note this will lose other settings, passwords, etc. if you have had partial functionality).
4) Update to latest firmware on the blu-ray player (under Settings, Support).
5) Set your router to WPA encryption (NOT WPA2! - WPA2 is not supported for now and this is the root cause). AES is OK but do NOT allow TKI (not supported for now either)! (Samsung and all sellers should flag the lack of WPA2 support)
6) Go to the Settings menu and select Network.
7) Follow the prompts for Auto setup and select your network (Samsung calls it Access Point).
8) Enter the network password created in step #2 when prompted.
9) You should be connected in a minute or so and see the red WiFi symbol on the console display!
Now the good stuff!
1) Once connected, this player is outstanding!
2) Excellent blu-ray video and audio.
3) Pandora, Netflix all setup within minutes and work flawlessly.
4) I am amazed at the boot time for a disc (<10 sec) and streaming Netflix (<30 sec and you are watching a movie).
5) The streaming video and audio quality impressed me - very close to that of a disc.
6) The menu skins are modern and Pandora is flat out addictive!
7) The remote, while not the prettiest, is very functional with large tactile buttons logically organized.
8) The player itself with black piano finish and touch sensitive console buttons looks classy and sleek.
All in all, highly recommended once the wi-fi problem solved!
Pros Great picture and sound quality. Setup was easy.
Cons Audio track will not stay in sync with video.
Summary My wife bought me the 6500 for Christmas. Setup was easy and received immediate firmware update from Samsung. Unit does a great job playing DVD; my Lord of the Rings DVDs look and sound great. Had major problems watching Inception on Blu-ray. The audio track kept going out of sync with the video, lagging as much as 2 seconds. I have an older receiver and am current using the Optical Out with Bitstream Re-encode. I might try switching to 7.1 analog to see if this helps. I need to also try a few other Blu-ray disks. If the problem continues I will return the unit.After using this unit for 2 weeks I returned today for the following reason(s). This player has horrible audio sync issues. Watching Inception on Blu-ray using the 5.1 optical out and the audio track kept lagging behind the video by as much as two seconds. Stopping and restarting the movie solved the problem temporarily, but within five minutes the audio was lagging again. I tried using the 7.1 analog outs, I have an older A/V receiver, and the lag problem worsened significantly. Within one minute the audio track was lagging a full five seconds behind the video. I really wanted to like this player, the picture quality is great, but audio problems are a total deal-breaker. I bought a Panasonic DMP-BD85K today, hooked up the 7.1 analog audio and watched my Inception Blu-Ray disk and guess what? No audio sync/lag issues whatsoever. Sorry Samsung, perhaps you can learn a lesson from Panasonic.
Updated on Jan 10, 2011
Pros beautiful navigation layout and nice internet features, good picture quality and works nicely with a samsung tv
Cons can not hold a wireless connection at all. So what good is the PROs then? Samsungs response to this , put the player next to your router, hmm, defeats the purpose of having a wireless connection don't you think?
Summary if you want to pay for a internet ready device that does not work and leaves you with just a blu ray palyer go ahead otherwise just buy a standalone BD player and avoid this product.