"Love this unit. However missing some features."4.0 starson by yellowbmr
Pros: Quality stereo + sound + looks
Cons: missing features like disabling the bluetooth + more.
Summary: This unit is all about sound quality. However, there are some items that need to be mentioned. I have this unit and love it, but it;s missing some features and needs a better design in some areas.
1) If you have a Ai-Net Cd changer by alpine and need to hookup an MP3 player, you can not. You have to buy an adaptor (cheaper one is 80 vs the more sophisticated one 150 both available at cruthfield). Most other stereos have this feature built into the stereo like Pioneer.
2) If I have someone in the car and don't want the unit to show phone#'s (pretty much receive calls), i like to be able to disable the bluetooth at a touch of a button, you can not do it with this device. if you clear the device then you have to pair it which takes a lot of steps and is annoying. WHy not just have a disable bluetooth button for times when you have your gf in the car and doon't want to be bothered by your mistress.
3) the remote buttons for volume is so close to source and sometimes i push those which is annoying. I have seen more nicely designed remotes out there.
4) The remote does not work well if you are not pointing straight at the remote ir on the top right of the unit. if you are pointing to the left of the unit, it does not pick up signals or if it does, it's hit and miss. Pioneer remotes worked great as long as you are poining to the unit and also i had an earlier model alpine and the remote was not this picky.
5) Bluetooth is not built into this device by default . YOu have to buy another module which is around $180 before you can make it work.
6) Biolite is not that clear in the sun if you have your glasses on. I recommend not hooking up the light wire to the vehicle light system. that way it's brighter.
Now the main question, would i buy this unit again? NO I would not unless they redesign it and make everything built in like othe stereo manufactures.
Would i buy it if it was cheap like $120.
No i would not.
Now that i have gone through the hassle of hooking up the bluetooth, remote, mp3 hookup + the purchase of all the modules and labor, i have put in close to 500.00 not including the labor.
What would i buy next time?
either a re-designed alpine that has all these features or if they lag behind and keep it modulator like unit, then i go with Pioneer in a hearbeat.