"Very Nice GPS!"5.0 starson by ThomasMatte
Pros: + Voice is clear
+ Display is so great
+ VERY easy installation and set-up
+ Intuitive interface
+ Great Features
Cons: - It's BIG
- Battery lasts a max of 30 minutes
- No traffic radio update
Summary: I purchased this mount at the same time as a Refurbished Magellan RoadMate 1700. I use the +/- system for ratings. This review includes the Extended Mount and the Roadmate 1700 GPS.
1. + Extended Mount is Very Sturdy, no need to use sticky disc, pad or standard mount included with RM 1700 kit on my dash, even though the dash is textured; the suction cup included with the extended mount is ROCK SOLID and attached itself to my dash like a it won't ever want to leave unless I lift the little lever. Having said that, I wouldn't leave any rubber mount exposed to sun for a long period of time, as it will likely lose suction or otherwise hurt the suction cup. I have a car cover on my vehicle in Southern Cal.
2. + Positioning the RoadMate 1700 below the front window with this mount is simple and effective. No road glare on screen, and the large display is not blocking your view out the window. In my case I have the mount attached to the dash top, but it hangs solidly down just above my radio in my Ford Fusion. No fuss, easy to reach and read.
3. + IGNORE!, repeat IGNORE! what you may have read or heard from customers or Magellan themselves about this GPS being best for a truck as it is SO LARGE. This thing works well in any size car as long as YOU HAVE THE EXTENDED MOUNT. But, If you are going to mount this in your window or dash; forget it, just too much blind space if your driving a car.
4. + 40somethings or older like myself can easily read the display without reading glasses. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS download the .pdf from Magellan, it's much more detailed. If you don't you may get confused, or not even know about some of the features in the RoadMate 1700. I would have never figured out how to switch from 2D to 3D view if I hadn't read the .pdf. (touch anywhere on map, touch 3d button). The buttons to change 2D/3D are not visible unless you touch the map first, they reside and appear where the left bottom button is.
5. - It's BIG, if you want to use it in a car, the extended mount is a must.
6. - Battery lasts a max of 30 minutes. Not a problem if you use this in your car as its alway hooked up to aux power, you are required to charge it for 1 hour before first use. I did not wait 1 hour and it worked fine out of the box.
7. - My biggest complaint has nothing to do with the Mount or GPS, it has to do with the shipping. SLOW; 4 days past the estimated delivery date.
8. - No traffic radio update (who cares!), but I had to put a negative for those who do. This option on other GPS units is rarely used, mostly a annoyance filled with useless untimely info.
The extended mount is a well built solid piece of engineering. No shake was noticed at all. It installs easily with little fuss.
The Magellan Roadmate 1700 GPS is awe inspiring. Finally a GPS unit the "rest" of us can see without reading glasses. Very easy to use, Very accurate, inexpensive for the size. I scoured the internet for comparable GPS this size, so far non I can find that compare for price.
There you go for Good(+) for Bad(-). Trust me the good far exceeds the bad in this case.
*** P.S. If you will buy this GPS I suggest you have compare price before you decide at: www.amazon.com/gp/*************?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%****%2Foffer-listing%2FB00433SRJQ%3Fie%3DUTF8%26ref_%3Ddp_olp_new%26qid%3D1300104507%26sr%3D1-5%26condition%3Dnew&tag=***************&********=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957