"a real disappointment..."1.0 starson by ca8050
Pros: after using it for a number of months now...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!
Cons: pretty much EVERYTHING (see below)...!!!
Summary: We were recently in Los Angeles, a city that i do not know very well for a few days house hunting and needed to do a lot of driving using a car with this unit installed.
After only half a day, we switched to using a $100 Sony hand held with a much better result.
A FEW OBSERVATIONS:
- the POI function is pretty much useless except to locate a bank of america;
- can't locate many common POI's so it comes back with the wrong results;
- no IR capability so no remote...believe me, this unit really needs one;
- need to hold voice button for more than 5 seconds for mute...which is a real pain;
- traffic service only available with MSN Direct which is a soon to be discontinued service;
- route guidance is just flat out horrible joke...
- can't find many addresses
- sometimes instructions takes you in circles
- no "previously selected" for choosing city, you need to re-enter city name over and over each and every time
- no introductory statement to begin your route and sometimes there is no voice for quite some time into your route
- slow to give guidance instructions, i.e., many times i have already passed my turn or in wrong lane and can't turn
- no exit clarification, just "take next" is all you hear
- OK button is located in the very top left corner close to and just above the SCROLL button and the sweet spot is at the bottom of the buttons so it's very easy to hit the wrong one and have to re-enter your entire route all over again. (i have done it many times)
- map does not display the city you are currently in. when house hunting in LA where cities run together from one block to the next and you take down an address, you have no idea which city it's in which is a real problem
- does not display your current speed or the posted speed limit
- when changing map scale, display sometimes changes orientation
- voice commands are limited and do not work well, for example: no commands for cancel route or for home route so you have to work you way thru menu layers for them.
In my other vehicles, I have an Alpine in one and Kenwood in the other...this Pioneer Avic-Z110bt unit is no match for either...
i do not recommend this unit, it's rubbish!