Pros small and nice-looking phone
Cons cannot withstand much at all. not durable
Summary I will admit that this phone is the right size and is cute and all that, but the way too many problems diminish those few pros. I have had this phone for 4 months maximum, and have ound out that it is not durable and cannot withstand much! The camera is poor performing....the sounds are garbled, as are the voices on other end while on call(to a slight extent). Also, the flippin charger has quit working!! It will no charge at all on any charger. The broken keypad makes it obvious that it isn't able to go through much. The sceen will turn white for a long amount of time for no reason. Just stay away from ths phone.
Pros Mini SD slot, great reception.
Cons Keypad has a very stiff and flimsy feel, menu function is not user friendly and can be confusing at times, Very slow contact entries transfer from sim to phone, USB cover's got to go...
Summary For the past 15 years, I've been using nothing but Motorolas (okay maybe one or two Nokias and Ericssons) but nonetheless, I'd always tend to stumble my way back to the Motorola brand - especially when the V60i was released through (the then) AT&T wireless. But my biggest upgrade was when the ever popular V3 Razr first made its debut a couple of years ago. Since then, I've used a few of those and eventually added the W490 to the 'Family Plan'.
Actually, the phone is for my girlfriend, but like all phones, I get to test drive them first just to make sure it fits the need.
I can honestly say that this is a decent, if not, a great phone - but it can be better. One of the downside to this was the keypad. It is so stiff that my right thumb became sore after inputting some hundred or two entries to the phonebook menu (didn't want to keep them in the SIM because the features are limited). The user menu is also a bit confusing considering that I've been through so many phones mfg by this brand. The W490 is lacking the essential 'select' option from the 'Right Soft Key', instead you press it on the middle navigation button.
Ringtones are inadequate, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the carrier. The add/delete entries from and to the sim requires a great deal of steps (unlike the previous "select/select all", once it is selected, it takes good 5 minutes to transfer from SIM to Phone.
Recently, Motorola construction housings had gone from metal (V60i) to aluminum (V3 Razr) and now to both hard and soft plastic (V3 and the W490). I am most disappointed at the latter two phones that my carriers had sent me only to found out that the battery doors are made of soft, thin plastic instead of aluminum/metal.
Above all, the phone's got a good feel to it but can take time to get used to. As a faithful Motorola user for many years, this phone actually felt 'foreign' to me for the first time.
Pros camera volume level and clarity speakerphone and music player
Cons no external memory slot
Summary I know there are better phones out there, but the fact that it is free makes it a perfect 10. It has more options than the razr without the flimsiness. Cnet says it has a poor camera but the pics i have taken come out fine. The voice level and clarity is second to none. Can't find much wrong with this one. My favorite giveaway phone by far.
Pros Plays Music, and bluetooth
Cons Missing basic features for everyday uses - compared to other phones
Summary I just bought this phone and have been using it a couple weeks. I switched from Verizon to T-mobile.
Things I like about the W490 and Tmobile
1. Fave 5 - mainly that is why I switched -
The Verizon plan was not flexible - I would go over on my minutes and the next month I would use hardly any minutes.
My 21 year daughter put her younger
brother on her Tmobile account (big mistake) anyway I took over the account so she wouldn’t have to pay $200 early termination fee on the second line. But I had to buy another phone (W490) because my son trashed the first phone in less than 5 months.
2. Plays music - and bluetooth - (if I decide to use it)
Things I miss - from my Verizon phone - that are not on this phone and things I don’t like:
1. I can’t set the display to what day it is :
like Monday, Tuesday, etc. Most of the
time I don’t care what the date is - I
want to know what day it is - wether I should be in church on Sunday or in the bar on Saturday, or work on Monday. Important things like that. I got rid of my watch - and my Cell phone is suppose to do the simple basics - maybe I’m ignorant - but I can’t find the setting to display the day. (also the display time out issue of 20 seconds - that is probably the most obvious one, and annoying.
2. The phone earbud sucks - it won’t stay in your ear, so they promote going wireless and bluetooth. Since I work contract - and am at different customer locations - sitting at the computer - I fumble around trying to get the earbud on and then in the middle of a conversation it falls out,(of course it always goes to the floor - and then you risk stepping on it - or worse yet someone else stepping on it - this has happened several times now - this is embarrasing,
now you have to give a poor excuse to the person your talking with, why your ear bud fell out of your ear. I have come close to rolling over the earbud with my chair - and someone else stepping on it when they walked into the office.
3. This is suppose to be a music phone - but I can’t find an cheap adapter in the stores to interface from Mini-USB to my noise canceling stereo Headphones, and can’t find a cheap set of noise canceling headphones that are mini-USB.
4. The phone case for this phone is a belt clip leather like purse. Looks nice - but it does not lock on your belt - so if you ride a motorcycle or wear a Leather bomber style coat the elastic on your coat will tend to pushup on the belt clip and you will lose your phone going down the highway. This happened to the sales guy at Tmobile - I shrugged it off - until I was out shopping and walking with my leather bomber jacket on and went to reach for my phone and it was gone. Went back to the truck - search all over for my phone - opened the jacket and it fell to the ground, the jacket pushed the phone case off my belt. They need a good belt clip for this phone to keep it secure to your belt, not an eye glass case style clip.
5. I loved the tip calculator on the verizon phone. It was great when you are at a restraunt to divide up the bill between 8 people, and also determine the the tip amount for the wait person. - Tmobile list they have a calculator - thats nice - but my calculator watch displayed what day it was also, it’s just I’m to old now to read those small numbers, so I don’t wear the watch anymore.
6. I’m sure it is a feature - but haven’t found it yet - I would like to control the number of rings to my phone before it sends it to voice mail - like 1 ring, 2 rings, 4 rings, 8 rings. I have not found that setting yet.
7. Evidently the manual said there is a skin setting, but this feature is not on the phone.
I am going to continue looking for some kind of locking belt clip so I won’t lose my phone.
I will probably buy the motorola bluetooth stereo headset to listen to music at work, and then answer the phone when it rings from the headset but the reviews I have read, people are saying that the padding for the ear is to hard and leaving sores on their ears. I think
I will grow caluses on my ears for another sub-standard design - by motorola - unless I can find a better product for under $100.
Another pet pieve that I don’t understand about cell phones in general - and could careless about is “Text Messaging”. Kids love this feature, but I’m not a kid - and typically I have more money than kids, and will buy nice things - like a really nice phone with good basic features - don’t try to sell me a bunch of junk - I will never text message anyone - I can afford to call them on my nice phone. This phone needs a good software update - and they need to focus on the basics.
Pros I have dropped this phone more times than I can count. It is all dinged up from getting dropped, on cement, hard surfaces etc. Once it slipped out of my pocket into a bucket of water. I dried it out in the sun for a few hours and voila! Had my phone b
Cons Everytime you text, if you don't want to use T9, you have to hit some stupid key about 4 times to change the entry mode. Hassle.
The speaker SUCKED. Maybe this was because I got it for free with contract off Letstalk.com. Also the missed calls func