"Very Nice phone"4.0 starson by beltzjt1
Pros: Walkman, Camera Quality, Browser, Modem, light sensor, calendar
Cons: no bluetooth headphones, screen gets dirty, can't get streaming video
Summary: This is a great phone. I did a lot of research on cell phones before purchasing this one. I have cingular service in Wash, DC area. Paid $430 at simoncells.com. I see it is now $400 and it has only been three weeks.
1. Camera is very nice. I agree with other reviews as it will not replace your digital camera. Picture are pretty clear though. Not so good in low lighting. Burst mode is cool. It can take 4 pics in a row and you can select the best. So no closed eye pictures.
2. Walkman: Very clear, very easy to use, excellent storage capacity with memory stick duo. I have the 512 Mb that comes with it. I just copy my mp3's from music folder on to the duo card. Very easy. Haven't tried my ipod files, but I think they work.
3. Browser: With EDGE, browser is pretty fast. I mostly browse through Cingular express, but mobile.google and my OMA access to work email also work great. pages render in approximately 4-5 seconds. Make sure you download the internet access software program from Sonyericsson.com or you can not browse. Same for email client.
4. Modem: Sony software made it very easy for me to use the phone as a broadband modem for my laptop. During a recent business trip, I connected from several different airports to conduct some business. Worked flawlessly and I got speeds at over 100Kbps. Sweet.
5. Calendar: Calendars synch very easily with my outlook calendar. Does have to be connected to PC for this(or bluetooth)
6. Flashlight: I guess this would be cool in a JAM. Very Bright.
7. Battery life: Not as good as I hoped. With frequent calls and browsing, I believe one day is all I will ever get. I am ordering an additional battery today.
8. Call Quality. Average. Not great but not bad either. Same with the wired headset that came with it. I do not have a bluetooth headset yet. My girlfriend does not think I sound as good as I did on my Samsung basic phone with Verizon Service.
9. Ease of use. Only problem I have is getting video in the proper format to play. I think it needs to be .mp4. I have not accomplished this yet. Also remember to visit sony ericsson site to download updates and necessary software. After that, everything was easy enough.
10. FM Radio with RMS. Radio works OK, reception is not fantastic, but this is a nice option when you get bored with your own music. RMS is the technology that gives you name and artist of song playing if the station supports this.
11. Light Sensor: is pretty cool. automatically adjusts brightness of screen and turns keypad lighting on and off. Mine did not work on first phone. I returned it and the replacement worked.
12. Screen: Is clear and colorful. Gets dirty easy because ot is flush with the rest of the phone. I ALWAYS have fingerprints.
13. Memory: The 512 MB additional storage is great. i will most likely upgrade and hget an additional 1GB card.
14. Video: Only plays one or two formats. I am pretty computer savy and I did not get this to work yet. I'm sure I will when I sit down and work on it for a while, but it is not simple. Also, with my Cingular service, I can not get streaming video. The protocol cincular uses for this in my area is not available on my phone.
15. Contacts: Sych with outlook contacts. I will store all numbers in outlook for backup and synch my phone with that.
16. games: I am not a gamer, but there are tons of games available with the JAVA program that comes with this phone.
17. look: I think the look and size are perfect. I am in my thirties and I work as a consultant, so I did not want anything flashy. This phone is stylish, compact, and classy. The feel is very solid. Nice construction.
Overall a great phone. The few negatives that I point out are very minor and are greatly outweighed by the positives. I really like this phone. It is absolutely the best you can do in this size phone and in this price class.