Apple's stylish iMac G5 series received a digital media revamp, making the midrange all-in-one computer a more formidable home entertainment player. Highlights of the updated models include the following:
- Lower prices: the 17-inch model remains $1,299, but the 20-inch iMac G5 now costs $1,699 (down from $1,799).
- Faster CPUs: the 17-inch model goes from a 1.8GHz G5 processor to 1.9GHz; the 20-inch goes from 2.0GHz to 2.1GHz.
- Faster 3D graphics: a 128MB ATI Radeon X600 Pro on the 17-inch, a 128MB ATI Radeon XT on the 20-inch.
- Built-in iSight camera (smack in the middle of the bezel above the display) on all models for videoconferencing with iChat AV, Apple's IM client.
- New Front Row software provides a Media Center-esque front end for photos, music, videos, and DVDs.
- The included Front Row six-button remote control allows you to access the Front Row software from a distance. You can control photo slide shows or music playlists, for example, without rising from your couch.
- The Mighty Mouse comes standard.
The previous generation iMac G5s are no longer for sale from Apple, but they're still available from various resellers.