"Extremely satisfied with the new iMac upgrade!"5.0 starson by Hiezenberg
Pros: * Everything from launching apps to managing files is unbelievably faster.
* The 27inch screen is an experience.
* iCloud integration is just amazing.
* Best of the Unix and Windows worlds.
* Wireless keyboard and magic trackpad.
Cons: * Lack of built-in Apps.
* Lack of superdrive and port options could annoy some users.
Summary: I recently upgraded from a mid 2007 13inch Macbook to a loaded 27inch iMac. It has the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX graphics card, 3.4 GHz i7 processor, 8GB RAM, and a 1TB Fusion drive. I have owned my macbook for 6 years and have only good things to say about it. After research and much deliberation, I decided to get a fully loaded iMac.I will highly recommend the fusion drive. I got the 128GB SSD option combined with 1TB HDD. The speeds are similar to some of the best SSD drives out there. The speeds make a huge difference. I don't even notice the time machine backing up. Boot time and shutdown time are way better. Here are some benchmark comparisons:
At work, I use a very powerful windows machine from Lenovo for development. I also own an iPhone and iPad. Previously, I have also owned/used Dell, HP, and Toshiba computers running windows. I have also used Debian and Ubuntu linux machines. This is my first iMac and of all the machines I have used, it has the best experience hands down.
Due to the price tag as well as the multitude of options out there, choosing the iMac was not easy and I want to share my experience:
* I decided not to get retina macbook pro because I already have an iPad which is perfect for traveling. After using a macbook for 6 years, I have realized that the small screen size is a big hassle. Retina display was attractive but I was concerned about the potential screen issues. On the other hand, the 27inch iMac screen is gorgeous. In terms of experience and productivity, no mobile device comes close.
* A cheaper windows machine was definitely on my mind. But after trying out the new windows 8, I was disheartened. OSX is no where near being worlds most advanced operating system (I have high bars for that). But I believe it is better of what is out there and is promising. I wish apple paid more attention to improving it.
* I trust Apple's build quality. I had already owned a macbook for 6 years and it has never given me any issues. I don't like changing computers often and wanted to get one that would last long.
Updated on Apr 6, 2013
My old macbook:
Cinebench - 0.92 pts for CPU, OpenGL could not run
Blackmagic disk speed - 70MB/s write and 75 MB/s read (top)
Cinebench - 7.42 pts CPU, 42.18fps OpenGL
Blackmagic disk speed - 327MB/s write, 427MB/s read