Pros Instant transfer movies into PC/Mac...as is true of any card-based recorder.
Cons Control buttons too small. Very slow zoom/focus. Grip awkward and painful for prolonged video recording.
Summary Body design intended for only the smallest right-handed users. Even if you find a comfortable palm position, this forces your button-thumb to be too high above zoom/set buttons. You can resort to a right-handed grip with left-handed button control crossover maneuver. Which is as awkward as it sounds. Battery/USB connector cover is not spring-loaded so is very hard to open. Make sure you keep one finger-nail long. Due to water-resistant design, USB connector cover is behind same aforementioned difficult-to-open battery cover. Cover must stay awkwardly open and vulnerable to damage when connected to PC/Mac. This clumsy setup makes screen/menu manipulation a contortionists dream. By the way the mini-USB connector is non-standard and proprietary so you can’t make use of any existing such cables that you’ll have accumulated with your other gadgets. Apologies but this camera isn't practical for day to day use; but too expensive as a Hawaii vacation throw-away.
"Good camera"on by bpogo
Pros It is nice to have a camera that can be used for both video and still photos as well as being small
Cons My battery charger broke down after using only a few times. I called Sanyo asking for a free replacement since it had broken in less than a year. They said since it was an accessory, it was not under warranty so I would have to buy a new one.
Pros I've gotten some surprisingly good quality pictures, nice to be able to flip the screen to take self portraits.
Cons electronic malfunction, video quality, awkward grip which impacts video quality, slow focus, zoom function can be heard in movies, zoom button isn't sensitive, no lens cover, picture re-frames when you press shutter button, etc. . .
Summary 1. I had my camera just over 3 months (just outside of warranty) and it freaked out electronically. It won't record audio with the video, the picture on the screen flips itself randomly during filming or picture taking, which makes following a subject VERY difficult, and the screen goes dark randomly. They won't fix it for me, either. or even give me support to attempt to figure out the problem before mailing it someplace to be fixed.
2. This doesn't have to do with the actual product, but I think it's relevant because dealings with a company impact a decision to buy or not to buy. Customer service is nearly impossible to reach. the online form, which says will be answered within 24 hours, NEVER gets answered. At all. the phone number they give on the site is only for TV repair and it give a recording about a remote then hangs up on you. . . There's more, but you get the idea. Customer service is almost impossible to obtain.
3. awkward to hold. It's fine for pictures, but for video it lacks. It's hard to take a stable video this way and if you want to zoom while taking video, it ends up shaking the picture a lot because it's awkward to press the button and hold onto the camera.
4. you can only zoom at one speed, which isn't good for video! the button isn't sensitive, so you can't press it lightly to zoom slowly and hard to zoom fast. This is serious lacking for video.
5. taking pictures while filming function - not all it's cracked up to be. It seems great, except that when you watch the video where you took the picture will be paused for 5 seconds, making the video useless.
6. the focus function is very slow and manual focus may as well be nonexistent. You CAN manually focus if you want to, but you have to go into the menu to get to it, which isn't practical and takes too long.
7. hard to frame a picture how you want because when you press the button to take a picture, it actually pulls back a bit - Meaning you frame something how you want it, then it will end up with a wider frame than you chose. This is a strange thing for a camera to do while focusing. I've learned to zoom slightly more than I want to account for this change, but I shouldn't have to!
8. zoomed pictures have marked reduction in quality.
9. the video quality isn't all that good, especially indoors. Outside in BRIGHT sunlight you can get some good video, but otherwise it struggles.
10. there is NO LENS COVER! It comes with a soft case, but there is nothing covering the actual lens, which is insane. there should at least be something internally that flips down when you turn the camera off. the soft case does NOT protect the lens at all. big design flaw. BIG.
In short, the camera is only good if you plan to use it for still shots, and even there it has some downfalls. There are much better cameras that are waterproof and are marketed as plain old digital cameras (not video cameras) that still take better video and are cheaper. No brainer, don't buy it.
Pros Nice size, convenient (though unorthodox) grip, very good for outdoor use. A blast for use at waterparks and at the beach. Easy to transfer videos to computer.
Cons Slow response with video record button; not great in low light. Taking still while recording video causes hiccup in video.
Summary I bought this during the summer of 2007. I actually love this camera, even with its short comings, which are basically accurately described in CNET's review. I happen to like the grip position, as has friends and family who have tried it (and since bought it for themselves). I also find the button placement to be just fine, but there is a noticeable lag in activating the video record button and the still picture button. You have to warn others who might be videoing you to just push the record button once, or they'll not capture you on video.
I have taken this camera with me to several water parks, including on a 4-day weekend at Atlantis on Paradise Island in the Bahamas. I have great videos going down the slides there and at other water parks (that is, I'm holding the camera recording all the way down into the splash at the bottom). I always bring it to the beach and have even body surfed with it. I also take it out while boating. Easy to use? While on the boat, my daughter, then 7 1/2, made a great video of my brother water skiing. It is at its best when used outdoors. Indoors and low light at night result in lesser quality photos or videos. Because of its size and versaility, it actually is my first camera of choice when leaving the house. It takes SDHC cards; I have two 4 GB cards. I also bought 2 extra batteries. Videos transfer easily to computer and can be viewed in QuickTime. I use Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 for editing. I have recommended it, I still would recommend it, and I would definitely want to replace it if anything ever happened to it.
Pros Quick Vedio or snap, Good MP4 vedio format saves ur memory , Good for outdoor shootings on beaches and swming pools or rain or snow with out any worries about the camera. Supports NTSC and PAL both.
Cons No Pause option while shooting, Some times vedios are not too sharp.
Summary I got this camera at a very competative price for $297 on thanks giving, that's why I can say it is good one at this price.