"A Major upgrade from the earlier Canon xxD Series"5.0 starson by mkaplan514
Pros: Excellent IQ, Fast FPS, Viewfinder, LCD, too many to mention
Cons: There really are none.
Summary: For those familiar with the xxD series of Canon DSLR cameras, Canon made a wide range of improvements on the 40D to bring this camera up to a new level. Everything from Image IQ (Image Quality), Canon's Famous Hi ISO low noise, speed and acuracy. They even madeimprovements in areas that some thought were a little weak in their prevois 10D/20D/30D cameras like better AF, ISO in the viewfinder, 3" LCD etc.
This is a list of new features and upgrades from the 20D-30D and 30D-40D differences.For those that are considering an upgrade from the previous xxD series cameras, it shows what the differences are and each person can judge for themselves what is or is not important to them and whether it pays to upgrade. I personally upgraded from the 20D.
1. Revised body and control layout.
2. 10 MP CMOS sensor.
3. EOS Integrated Cleaning System.
4. DIGIC III Image Processor.
5. 14-bit ADC.
6. 5FPS increase to 6.5 FPS shooting speed.
7. Larger buffer.
8. Larger, brighter viewfinder.
9. Three interchangeable focusing screens.
10.ISO display in viewfinder with B/W icon.
11.Faster and quieter powered mirror mechanism.
12.Nine-point AF sensor with cross sensitivity.
14.24 custom functions in four groups.
15.WFT-E3/E3A wireless transmitter / grip.
16.New grip (compatible w.previous grip).
17.Weatherproof compartment doors.
18.Larger 3.0" LCD monitor.
20.Shooting Information Display.
21.EOS-1D style menu system.
22.On-screen settings adjustments.
24.Three new camera user settings.
25.Trimming including tilt correction.
26.RAW with sRAW.
27.Optional High ISO Noise Reduction.
28.Does not power down if card door opened.
29.External USB media support.
30.Improved white balance.
31.Increased playback modes.
32.Optional highlight alert on playback.
33.Optional AF point display on playback.
34.In-camera flash configuration w/580EXII.
35.Increased menu languages.
36.Increase metering range 0-20EV instead of 1-20.
37.Increase in Kelvin WB range 2500 down from 2800.
38.Mirror Lock Up for multiple exposures.
Whereas 20D to 30D had...
01. Metering modes added Spot (3.5% at center).
02. ISO steps 0.3 EV steps 1.0 EV steps
03. Added Image "Picture Style"
04. Custom image parameters - greater range +-4 rather than +-2
05. LCD 2.5" 230,000 pixels vs 1.8" 118,000 pixels LCD
06. Histogram added RGB (minor)
07. Continuous speed added 3 frames per second choice
08. Continuous buffer Up to 30 JPEG/11 RAW vs Up to 23 JPEG/6 RAW
09. Playback file size display Yes, MB vs No
10. Added Playback jump range of 100 images & By date 10 images
11. Record review magnify Optional vs N/A
12. Custom functions 19 C.Fn. 53 settings vs 18 C.Fn.50 settings
Really not offering much which is why so many people did not upgrade from 20D-30D.
Go to your local store and tryout the 40D. You won't be sorry