"Over-Rated Preliminary Reviews"3.5 starson by Eppy1
Pros: Beautiful Outdoor Pictures, Vivid colors, Stylish, Compact
Cons: Annoyingly slow, poor flash, poor indoor shots
Summary: Just bought the SD1100IS to replace a 1-1/2 year old Casio Exilim EX-Z850 that I broke. I checked out all of the reviews for this new Canon model and was impressed with the comments. But after receiving the camera and using it for a few weeks I am beginning to have my doubts. In fact, right now I would happily trade it in to have my Casio Exilim back!
1. Slow, slow, slow - the setup time for every shot, particularly indoor shots, is really annoying. My Casio was ready in about half the time. Taking quick sequenced indoor shots with a flash is not realistic.
2. Grainy image on viewing screen for any nightime indoor shots.
3. Severely under-powered flash - I thought I read some reviews that gave it an OK rating at 10 feet...I have not had much luck farther than about 8 feet. Many flash shots were severely darkened by lack of light...and often the flash only covered a portion of the image leaving faces dark and everything else in the photo bright.
4. Used it the second week I had it for a wedding - roughly half of the shots had to be thrown away...you don't get a lot of opportunities at a wedding. Things move along at their own pace. So walking down the aisle, every other shot was blurry, or out of focus. Getting a low light shot was trying at best, even with proper "best shot" settings.
5. Face Recognition software worked sometimes, and other times drove me crazy as it would not lock in anywhere near the faces....I eventually shut it off.
6. The pictures - well yes it does take nice pictures...if you're willing to put up with a very annoying camera. Maybe I'll get more used to it over time. I just can't afford to have so many bad shots among the good ones.
7. Software is very good, uploading and sorting is easy, can print right from the camera without a PC (yes, you need a printer).
8. Right now, I think a 7 is the best rating I can squeeze out for this camera.