"Excellent images, small package"4.0 starson by GazzBC
Pros: - Small and light
- Live view plus traditional viewfinder
- Very satisfied with quality of images
- 14-42 lens provides useful range for most purposes
- Cheaper than most comparable cameras
Cons: - Menu system too difficult to navigate (like most digital cameras, unfortunately)
- Manual focus isn't that easy to dial in compared to my old film SLRs
Summary: I'm a pretty basic shooter, nothing too fancy but I appreciate having more control than what a point-and-shoot provides (e.g. depth of field). This camera fits the bill and I've been very pleased with the images. I haven't shot at anything faster than ISO 400, which is apparently a weakness of this camera.
What I like most about this camera is how compact it is. While it's no credit-card size model, my buddy's new 40D looks and feels like a monster truck in comparison. The downside is that the 420 and the kit lens don't seem to be very robustly built - adequate, but certainly not like my film SLRs of the past.
I process the raw images with iPhoto rather than the bundled software, so I can't comment on that.