Pros Sweep Panorama is astounding. The 20x Zoom is just right. I have no issues with the image quality, I've done an 11 x 20 print and it turned out well. (I work for HP, so I know a LOT about printing photos) The 10FPS works well.
Cons The abscence of Nightshot/nightframe and RAW was disappointing. I also with a Lenshood/filter adapter is available but going from 28-560MM on the zoom would require about a 120MM Filter to be able to get the whole range, regrettable. Zoom seems slow.
Summary While I have listed a few bad points, I do NOT dislike this camera. I bought it for what it does, it's size and it's powerful features. I use High end Canon DSLRs and almost need a pack animal to haul my 6 lenses around. This camera is SMALL, lightweight and I don't have to constantly worry about the security of $20K worth of Cameras and lenses. I travel often and having a "convenient" camera is very helpful. I bought it to fill the "Gap" I did a "sweep Panorama" shot inside of a covered bridge here in Oregon. I was pleasantly surprised when I got an email from the senior editor from Webshots writing me to tell me how cool the shot was and how impressive the camera performed. I figure when they have about 600 Million Photos on Webshots and I get an email about a single photo, I'm on to something good. I photographed our daughter's college Graduation from Oregon State, I was able to zoom in on her from ACROSS the football field and get shots, handheld, that were so clear you could see the freckles on her face. I was stunned. Don't expect this camera to perform like a Top End Canon or Nikon, because it won't. But it you want small size, powerful features and superior image quality I think that this camera is as good as it currently can get. I'm old and jaded and not easily impressed, but this camera impresses me!
Pros Great speed.
Excellent video quality. (I sold my camcorder!)
Photo quality is great! (for a Point and Shoot)
Twilight mode is excellent.
Cons Viewfinder is useless. Too small.
Wish continuous burst mode was not limited to 10frames.
Summary For those expecting professional greade photos this is not for you. If you need a camera that can do everything well, then buy this camera! The image quality falls between a point and shoot and a DSLR. So it is better than the credit card size cameras but not as good as the big boys. The video quality is better than most camcorders. I am blown away by the combination. I do not agree with the editor's review here. I think that this camera fills a niche market that is all in one. The image quality is great for its market and the video quality surpasses any DSLR including this feature. Let me be clear- there is no other CAMERA that has produced HD video this good! The video is on par with high quality camcorders that cost more money.
So, for my trip to NYC in a few weeks I can take one camera and be fine. Defintely an A+ effort put into this product by Sony. Consider me impressed.
"Powerfull camera"on by John_Nillo
Pros Image quality is very good, sweep panorama is awesome, intelligent scene selection works pretty fast, and enhanced face detection feature can remember faces, and then give them priority in future photos, camera also has smile detection.
Cons Why not 10Mpx? Just didn't understand !!
Summary The high speed burst mode 10fps at full 9mpx, really gets that once in a lifetime moment and who cares if it makes you wait for 10-15 seconds to write to the card? You have already gotten the moment !!!
I have had others cameras like Pany FZ28 and Canon SX10is, and I can honestly say the HX1 is a camera you should not miss out, this camera is amazing. And I didn?t even talk about the video yet!!! The HD movie capture is better than the others, its huge 1440 x 1080, zooms during movie, with stereo sound record, really a hybrid camera.
Besides, anti motion blur mode is very good in low light, CMOS sensor, a 3" LCD screen, the flash automatically pop-up when required (the others don?t) and Super Steady Shot Image Stabilization.
Overall, the camera is so fun to play with, love it, and highly recommend, you won?t regret.
Pros All the stuff in this camera, i LOVE all of those.
Cons Those things I expected for this camera to be capable of, but is not...
Summary 4.5 over 5.0 stars, because it is almost perfect. I?m playing with it for 14 days already and counting, and here are some of Poinky?s features I loved the most:
- It is smaller and lighter than I expected before seeing it for real. Very good for traveling. :)
- The 20x zoom is very realistic, I?ve tested it for several times and it did not disappoint me, it?s just big blurry sometimes because of my shaky hands. Here?s one of the pictures I?ve taken 20x zoomed.
- I love the high quality image it produce outdoors, specially when it is bright sunny day. It shoots like a dslr in this category. (bright-lit places) Like this one.
- The retouch system that you can use in the camera itself is a magic. I photographed a decor here at my Tita?s house which is a wooden sunflower. Then I tried some of the retouch tools and here?s the outcomes. The first photo you?ll see is the original picture, the next are retouched. :)
- The battery life is very long, I love it. I could use it for 2-3 days of experimenting and playing with it. Though when you take videos/movies it kills the battery faster, but still good.
- The movie mode is awesome! The zoom still works when you hit the shutter button (which is disabled on my poor p200) and the zoom is a bit slower than the normal zoom for a better effect, and the 20x zoom is still available for video taking. You could use its video for making some of like little movies and music videos.
- It is VERY nice that this cam is not just good in photographing photos, but also taking videos? Unlike some cams that the video and photo quality is not equal. It?s like you bought a camcorder and a mini-dslr in one.
And these are some of ?not-so-good? stuff and the reason why I only gave 4.5 over 5.0 stars.
- In low lit places it?s not THAT nice like how nice it takes when you photograph in bright places. But still good?
- The format of the videos are .MP4 which I?m not really familiar with. But I got a good resolution about this, I got a video converter, and it lessens also the file size, and lessens just 1 to 3% of its quality. ;]
I?m still learning, about those Aperture etc etc, and it?s PERFECT camera for me, a twelve year old girl & for my whole family. :] If you?ll buy a cam, and your priority are excellent features, lighter and smaller than a dslr, then get this. ;] What?s great about this than a dslr is that it has a movie mode. :)
"Poor image quality"on by ptople
Pros The HX1 does things no other camera can do
Cons I have used this camera for two weeks and the image quality will be fall apart when you scale up in photoshop.. this is very disappointing. Pixels can be seen even at the highest quality setting.
Summary This camera is amazing in making image capture easy, but I would like to see better quality in the images..especially if you want to make prints bigger than 5x7.