"Several more features required to be worth buying this."2.5 starson by porthosvine
Pros: 1. It works for viewing Netflix quite well with an ethernet cable attached.
2. It plays .flac. .wav, .ogg and quite a number of other file formats.
3. Small and portable size.
Cons: 1. Cannot stream directly from computer's browser.
2. Would be nice if it upconverted to 1080p.
3. Needs to have wifi integrated into the box. Having to purchase a wifi dongle is a rip off.
4. User interface needs file search feature.
Summary: In future versions of the GoFlex TV, Seagate needs to make the following inprovements and keep the cost well under $159.00, which is the discount cost of many Blu-Ray players that enable Netflix and streaming.
1. The Seagate GoFlex TV cannot stream directly from your computer's browser to watch Hulu and other sites. This device needs to be able to do that to be worth its price.
Seagate's documentation is misleading in regard to this. The only way you can stream a movie from your computer to the Seagate GoFlex TV is through a "hard file" placed in your shared folder. I want stream Hulu and other programs available on my computer's browser directly on my television and the latest version (avail Jan. 2011) of the GoFlex TV does not do this.
2. The Seagate GoFlex TV needs to be able to upconvert to 1080p. This device needs to be able to do that to be worth its price.
3. The price is ridiculous in consideration of the fact that you need to purchase a Wifi dongle to free yourself from an ethernet cable. Wifi should be integrated into the box itself for a more streamlined, less awkward appearance, useage and increased portability. Users don't need a bunch of extra objects hanging off their equipment. Streamlined and integrated is what is desired.
4. GoFlex TV needs direct links to more internet services, such as Pandora and Hulu.
5. Seagate needs to improve GoFlex TV's interface, because it takes forever to navigate to your desired files on an attached hard drive. A search and choose feature would be nice, but is not really a deal breaker.
6. The cheap-ee made in China remote control does not respond sometimes and skips other times.
Summation: Seagate needs to consider its direct competition, namely Roku Streaming Player, WD TV Network Media Players, and Sony Network Media Player. However, Roku and Sony will loose out if they fail to produce a media player that plays .flac and the other media formats supported by Seagate GoFlex TV.