"The WORST DVR I have ever owned"0.5 starson by Starfish Jim
Pros: 90 min buffer; caller ID
Cons: every thing else is awful
Summary: What in the world was DirecTv thinking????! It must have just been $$$ signs because their decision to drop TIVO and go with their own severely flawed unit simply smacks of corporate suicide. About a year ago my first Hughes TIVO died due to a hard disk crash, DirecTV, to their credit, replaced it with an R10 model for free. That has been wonderful as it still used the TIVO operating system. But just last week, the Hughes TIVO in the bedroom crashed and DirecTV once again sent out a replacement. But this time it was an R15. I only had to take one look at the totally brain-dead remote to realize this was going to be a nightmare. And sure enough, just as soon as I had it connected up and turned on, it rebooted 3 times all by itself, right in the middle of configuring the satelite and remote.
What people are saying is absolutely true. This is a piece of garbage compared to our old TIVO units. In summary:
1. The remote's key placement and design is 100% retarded. It nearly takes two hands to use it.
2. The response to button presses is delayed and sluggish.
3. The failure to allow managing 2 tuners and their buffers is a major oversight and setback from the TIVO units.
4. The user interface is completely awkward and unintuitive. Even as an engineer, I had to thoroughly read the manual just to figure out how to record a program. If your mother can't figure out how to make her VCR record, she is NEVER, EVER going to figure out this beast.
5. It is not possible to turn off our TV without having to slide the remote's selector switch all the way over to "TV", even though I have programmed the remote for our TV's codes and it works OK to MUTE and change the volume.
6. The fonts on the display are so small and narrow that it is very hard to read on our small (19") bedroom TV. TIVO had nice big screens but these DirecTV guys must assume every TV you own is a giant 50" plasma model because that's the only way you are going to read the screen without squinting.
I could go on and on. I'm so dissapointed with this piece of junk and the fact that DirecTV has caused me to even waste my time on this negative review but I feel very strongly that the world needs to know that DirecTV has REALLY, REALLY made a SERIOUS error in judgement this time. I have been with DirecTV for over 12 years since I bought my first $600 receiver from RadioShack in 1995. But I can confidently say that if this is their new direction and policy then I will be happily terminating my connection with DirecTV and sending my hard earned dollars to ComCast or DishNetwork very soon.