"Excellent, Better than Direct TV's "old" TIVO"4.5 starson by dgolden
Pros: full features including one touch recording, sort features, mutliple ways to search/record programs
Cons: no dual buffer, remote is over designed
Summary: I upgraded from Direct TV's "standard" definition service to HD, with the HR21 dvr. I am very pleased with both picture quality and DVR functionality. Previously I had one of the TIVO dvrs provided by Direct TV, and am at a loss to explain the negative reviews. The new DVR has most of the features the old TIVO had, and many features that the old TIVO unit did not have, as follows: (Note, I'm not comparing the new TIVO units that you can buy seperately. Those maybe more full featured, but they don't work with direct tv and are expensive.) These include:
* one touch record from guide
* one touch to get to guide sorted by subject
* recent searches automatically saved
* ability to record a series or upcoming episode from list of previously recorded functions
* list of last 5 channels
* ability to scroll through the guide 12 hours at a time
* 30 second advance
* set your own bookmarts to recorded shows
* ability to jump back and forward to pre-set book marks (TIVO you could only go forward).
* set up shows to record on-line.
*show pictures and play music from computer to the DVR
* several hot keys that change function depending on what your doing (watching live vs. recorded shows).
Overall, I'm very happy and don't miss my old unit at all. With over two weeks of use (at the heart of NBA playoffs), I've recorded many shows without a hitch. There are some features that are missing.
* no dual buffer (you can solve this by recording the show you'r watching but it is clunky)
* remote, while full featured, is a litte over-designed (too many clicks and options)
* no "live tv" button