Pros Near HD quality picture from standard DVDs and good price
Cons Disappointingly unreliable
Summary I was impressed with the upconversion using the HDMI connection, but it had problems with picture freeze on the first play out of the box and it continued even with brand new discs. The problem got progressively worse and it stopped working completely within 5 days. I was shipped a replacement from Toshiba. The replacement has frozen once for a couple of seconds. I haven't used it enough yet to see if it will get worse. It's only a 90 day warranty so you're taking your chances. the display on the unit doesn't have a time counter just chapter number and the loading tray seems really flimsy, I wouldn't put any pressure on it. I bought it based on great experience with a previous Toshiba model, but this one has possibly turned me off to Toshiba for good.
Pros Cheap, Divx
Cons Freezes, just does not have it...
Summary I really did not like this DVD player ... I picked it over Samsung model ... it freezes all the time, sometimes at the start of the movie or Audio CD, sometimes in the middle ... it does not read home made CDs and DVDs well... sometimes it does and sometimes it does not (go figure)... I tried same disks on my older Panasonic and they play just fine ... overall not worth the money since I am yet to finish watching one movie without this thing freezing up on me... back to Smasung or Panasonic for me.
Pros 1. ) Looks nice - Slim, lightweight, quiet (too bad it doesn't work).
2. ) Low power consumption (because it doesn't WORK).
3. ) Cheap (because it doesn't work).
4. ) Seems we are beginning to see a theme....ya' think!
Cons --- TOO MANY TO LIST HERE --- See the bottom line summary.
Summary 1.) If you accidentally select HDMI output and don't have a HDMI input on your TV, you do not get a PICTURE or SIGNAL of ANY TYPE and no way to reset. REALLY, no way to reset except to blindly follow screenshots that are in the manual and hope you navigate.
2. ) When you are hooked up to a TV with HDMI input and do get a usable signal, upscaled pictures do not by any means look anything close to 1080i or even 720p for that matter.
3. ) When you are able to get a picture, it FREEZES!!!!!
4. ) Will not play DVD-R or DVD+R discs.....you know, your family videos that you took so much time to edit, burn and send to family. Yeah, these will not play here. Maybe you go to Uncle George's house to watch on his $19 Apex DVD player that will play anything under the sun!!!
5. ) Toshiba in general! Try to find a pdf of the owner's manual online.....I dare you! This is 2009 and I cannot locate a pdf of a owners manual which in all likelihood would prevent owners from swearing off of the Toshiba brand for this colossally ignorant omission. Customer support should provide SUPPORT which there is none!
6. ) Customer support number - AUTOMATED with absolutely no way to get HUMAN and the options provided to the caller do not in any way help with the issue at hand!
Absolute BOTTOM LINE....Do Not BUY THIS DVD player. Calling this device a DVD player is actually an inaccurate statement. Calling it an expensive paperweight would be more accurate.
My advice, I have a 10 year old Panasonic DVD player that plays everything. I have never been disappointed by Panasonic and I will be returning to a brand that has taken care of this consumer.
Toshiba, good riddens!
"Complete Junk!"on by Lucntsup
Pros It doesn't require much power becuase it never works.
Cons It never works.
Summary I exchanged the first one for another. The second lasted about one month less than the first. All in all, I got almost one year out of two machines. Complet junk. No more Toshiba in my house!
Pros Slim line and looks good...too bad it doesnt work
Cons The unit freezes ocassionally requiring a power off/on which is extremely annoying. The unit will also display a Bad Disk message after inserting a DVD. Long time after insert of DVD to play.
Summary There should never be a reason to wrestle with a DVD player. You insert a DVD and play it....why should there be a gamble whether or not a DVD will play. Why do I have to unplug the power cord to reset a hang condition....what a royal pain this unit has been...Toshiba does not provide a user manual pdf online.