"Badly designed and full of firmware issues."1.0 starson by loekf
Pros: Large capacity, small enclosure.
Cons: Doesn't want to switch off (there's no power switch, so it depends on firmware)
No power saving modes, drive is always spinning, even after switch the PC off
Gets very very hot. More than 60 celsius.
Summary: I bought this 2 TB GoFlex Desk drive with a USB 3.0 adapter. My comments:
- If you set the sleepmode it switches itself off after the specified period, but disables itself right away again.
- The firmware programmers at Seagate appearently decided not to use USB suspend mode for the sleepmode enabling you to keep the connection, but saving power by powering down the drive. Instead, it looks like they cut the USB pairing (connection).
- Effect is the drive disappears and re-appears in Windows. You hear the Windows plug and PlayStation sound beeping indicating that it recognizes new hardware again and again.
- My biggest complaint is that it enables itself after you shutdown the computer. Seagate promises powermanagement features, but none of them are working.
- When the drive is reading or writing, the temperature (= airflow sensor inside the drive) easily goes above 60 celsius, which is a serious risk for the drive itself.
I can't understand how people can use this product, when you connect the drive permanently. Only connecting it when you need it is not acceptable for me. I might as well buy an enclosure and drive or a cheaper brand.