"Huge Pluses, Big Minuses But still love it!"4.0 starson by k1ngk
Pros: See Below for details
Cons: See Below for details
Summary: Just as many of you have spent plenty of time researching your purchase I did too, almost two full months. I?m sure if your anything like me you?ve already read the reviews so I won?t bore you with stuff you already know. Secondly, I?m very particular about my electronics. I pick them apart early and learn everything about them. After two solid weeks of deliberation, back and forth, testing, tweaking, and retesting I am happy to say I?ve decided to keep it and here?s why in all its detail, both my likes and dislikes.To be entirely fair I decided to update my review. I have since been able to correct the blurry red text. Samsung mandates that if you connect a PC to your TV you must do so using ONLY the first HDMI slot. Then, you must change the label/name of the input to "PC" or "DVI PC." Initially I thought this should have no effect, because all I was doing was labeling the input so that I knew what was connected to it. But, apparently this enables "PC Mode" and by using this mode the red text is now PERFECTLY clear. Even though I feel this was a poor implementation of such a mode, I'm very happy that it corrected the issue.
Best reasons to buy this TV:
1) First and foremost this TV has AMAZING picture quality when set correctly.
2) Superb contrast! Deeply detailed blacks (Caveat) and clear bright whites = AMAZING PQ!
3) 120hz processing! I know some have said it?s a gimmick, but I guarantee you I won?t ever buy another TV without it. What you will find is that some programming is better seen with it on while some are better seen without it and still others will be better half half, but that will be up to you to decide. 120hz processing has a 3D effect that it is awe inspiring when seen with select HD programming. When you have it on I can?t think of any other way to describe it other than what others have called ?hyper real.? It?s a must have in my book.
4) Clean & crisp as a computer monitor but ONLY through HDMI @ 1080P (with a caveat.)
5) Very sleek design. The red is not very noticeable and even when it is it still looks great.
6) You can upgrade your firmware via USB drive and Samsung just released a new one NOV.
1) The remote design is pretty good. It is sleek black, easy in the hand, and is backlit.
2) Glass stand swivel is something I didn?t think I needed but has come in handy.
3) Plenty of picture adjustments and each source remembers its own separate settings.
4) Quiet, there is zero buzz noise like my outgoing LCD.
Reasons not to buy this TV:
1) Huge smearing Problem. Took me two full weeks to realize I wasn?t the only one. It really only makes itself shown under certain circumstances but can be reduced by adjusting some picture settings. Here is an example I recorded.
I was going to return it just because of this, but after working around it I am willing to give a little bit, because it only happens during fast, dark scenes with certain colors and when it does happen it?s not TOO bothersome. I?m a gamer and 75% of the reason I bought this was to game better and I?m somewhat satisfied.
2) Slow on screen menu. Its painful sometimes how unresponsive it can be.
3) Here is my caveat for the computer display. Everything is super sharp until you get certain color text on certain color backgrounds. There are too many variables to explain here but red text is the biggest offender.
Macro shot down to the pixels on my display of the problem here.
Keep in mind those are single pixels that are shot really close up and magnified.
4) This is my caveat for the good black levels. After researching online via forums galore I came across something interesting that some people call a ?Panel lottery.? Apparently, Samsung out sources some of the work to other panel manufacturers and some have ?bluish blacks.? If mine had this I would return it immediately. I think if you are interested in buying one I recommend doing some research on this.
Other small dislikes:
1) I have tried contacting Samsung via email and their responses were not helpful and slow to get back. I have not tried to call them.
2) The shiny bezel is a dust magnet. I constantly clean it because it looks so much dustier than everything surrounding it.
3) VGA is not an option as a PC connection. Absolutely, invest in a DVI to HDMI cable/dongle.
4) Buttons on the TV itself are touch sensitive and are hard to see and press.
1) With all these different adjustments take your time to find your perfect settings and write them down somewhere.
2) I registered mine online with Samsung and they extended my warranty by 3 months
3) The screen is slightly glossy and WILL reflect direct light. But, it helps with the black levels.
P.S. I will post this on a few other places so don?t be shocked if you see it elsewhere.
Hope this helps!
Updated on Dec 30, 2009
Because of this I would rate this TV 4 1/2 Stars. (It spends a majority of the day in PC mode)