"A not so Smart TV because of a very poor browser."2.0 starson by DPStott
Pros: I will admit this TV is half smart, the picture and audio quality are great when streaming Netflix. The apps (very limited for us Canadians) work well but really this is limited to Skype, Youtube and Netflix.
Cons: - Browser is slow and hard to use with virtual keyboard
- Webcams are not compatible except Samsungs own, but then they don't attach well
- Limited apps for us Canadians
- If not connected to cable then see snow screen everywhere
Summary: I have been watching TV online for 10 years now on a PC. We have no cable, set top box or anything. With Smart TVs I thought I was getting a large LED TV that could stream video just like my PC, but without the PC and small monitor. I was wrong, very wrong. However I am prepared to change this not very satisfied review if the below fixes are done (which I know are easily done through software upgrades).
Most of us stream other content via the browser and the browser is very poor. It is hard to use even though keyboards now can operate it, but unfortunately the virtual keyboard keeps "annoyingly" appearing on the screen. The streaming quality of video is very poor, sometimes missing sound (e.g. Youtube), it sometimes crashes and because this isn't Firefox, Chrome etc. and not on a PC some content you can't stream (e.g. CTV through Silverlight).
Skype works well all round BUT the only webcams compatible are Samsung ones, so add >$140 to your budget if you need one. Additionally, the one we bought doesn't fit on the back of the TV so we had to buy a mini tripod to stand it up next to the TV.
Because we don't subscribe to cable etc. when we turn the TV on we get the snow effect. This annoyingly appears in the Smart Hub screen (where the apps are etc.) as a small icon showing what is on TV. We don't have TV, this is a Smart TV accessing the internet, so why have this as a permanent option?
1. Far better browser so can stream video through it at a high quality
2. Ability to turn off TV view from Smart Hub screen
3. More apps e.g. Drop Box, Canadian TV networks e.g. CTV, CBC etc.
4. Remove virtual keyboard when using keyboard so works just like on a PC
5. For future customers, make compatible with any webcam AND design Samsung webcams so can fit on ALL Samsung TVs.
6. Quick browser so can browse the internet just like a PC
Fix all these I will seriously consider moving review from 2 to a 5.