Pros This package has with several great features. Connectivity was convenient with 2 optical audio connections, an RCA connection, and an HDMI input. Blu-Ray player was an added bonus although my PS3 has that job covered. IPOD DOCK ROCKS!
Cons As many have mentioned, the unit has mechanical noise (hi frequency/static) in the FR, SR, and C channels. It sounds like a tea pot. This sound is present even when the unit is muted, however turning up the volume does not increase the noise level.
Summary As I stated, this unit has a lot of great features that I enjoy.
1. The IPOD dock rocks! When my iPod is plugged in, I am able to control it through the LG receiver using the provided remote. I only have 2 complaints about this feature. The first is that the album artwork does not appear on the screen when controlling the iPod through the unit. And secondly, when I scroll through my music by artist and select an album, the songs are put into alphabetical order rather than track listing order.
2. Blu-Ray player: I don't really need one because of my PS3 but for the price of this package it would be a great bonus for any consumer who buys it.
3. Connectivity: I was able to attach my Comcast Cable box using an optical cable (not provided), my PS3 with an optical cable (not provided), and a turn table using RCA cables (not provided.) The LG unit can be connected to your TV using either an RCA cable (yellow, included), Component (not included) or HDMI (not included). Also there is an Ethernet port for connection to the network.
4. Radio: The package comes with an antenna for both FM and AM radio.
5. Sound Quality: Aside from the issue I've detailed below, I find the sound quality quite good. I don't like a lot of bass and I find the SW to be pretty subtle. Each speaker has both a small woofer and a tweeter and there seems to be a good balance between lows mids and his.
Unfortunately, after purchasing this package on Sunday, I've already spent an hour on the phone with LG.
As I've looked around the internet, it seems that I am not alone in experiencing a high frequency mechanical noise in the FR, SR, and C speaker channels. This is amplified for me as this system is installed in a bedroom and the SR speaker is very close to the bed. After contact LG about this issue, I was taken through a process of resetting the unit, checking wires, and adjusting levels. To be honest, I'm a professional audio engineer and I'm pretty sure I can hook up a speaker. I understand he was required to ask me these questions but I assured him that I had already done these things.
LG's solution is for me to send them the receiver to them. I will get shipping stickers in the mail within 10 days and he was unable to tell me how long I would be without the receiver.
Please understand that I really love the way the system sounds when its turned up loud enough to bypass the high frequency mechanical noise. However if the receiver is on mute or placed at a low volume, I can't help but feel like I left a kettle on the burner.
My only other complaint about the package is that the network connectivity requires a hardwire connection to the Ethernet port. In my house, I do not have an appropriate path to run cables from my router and I feel as though I'm missing out on some great features as a result. Wireless would have made this much better in my opinion. For a unit in the $400 range, I think they could have pulled off wireless.
"GREAT HTiB!!!"on by miyagi941
Pros Sound Quality, Features, Price, Internet Options, Simplicity, BluRay Quality...
Cons No 3d Support, Sub Woofer could be a little more powerful.
Summary This is a GREAT HTiB system... LG looks to be a step above the rest with this one! Great internet features like VUDU, Netflix, Pandora, YouTube, Roxio CinemaNow streaming plus more!!! Exelent sound and picture quality just wish it had 3d support. Super Fast Blu-ray load times; nice pull-out iPod dock feature. Love the HDMI input!!! 1100W! Design could be a bit better but mine is inside a cabinet and no one can see it. MusicID feature is cool.
This LG model compared to the Samsung equivalent has ALOT more features and is about $120 cheaper!! Great Job LG!!
"whistling noise"on by caromio1
Pros When the whistling noise stops for 10 seconds, the unit sounds good.
Cons The whistling noise rarely stops for more than 10 seconds.
Summary Sent the defective unit in, paid a $69 service fee. two weeks later, I call to find out where it is, they said that they are waiting on the part to fix it. They also said that they couldn't give me an estimate, because they had no idea when they would be able to get that part. They refuse to give me a different machine, refuse to refund the extra $69, and refuse to give me an estimate when they can repair the machine. DON'T BUY IT.
Pros The netcast, thus far anyhow, has performed without flaw. Set up was fairly easy, taking about twenty minutes including netflix. The unit has some serious volume to it, though I am not yet convinced this is necessary or even really a pro.
Cons Sound sound sound. No equalizer (really?). The preset sounds are strange at best. While the subwoofer has a certain amount of punch to it, there is no low end, no thunder. The user interface is bad. The iPod dock is extremely touchy, and cheap.
Summary This unit seems geared towards a younger consumer, very loud, childish UI, and a subwoofer that is loud and punchy, but has none of the audio qualities an audiophile on a budget is looking for - no silky smooth sound, no low end rumble. The speaker adjustment tool is odd, and different for each speaker. The lack of equalizer seems out of place for a product i routinely see sold for $400. The connected flip down ipod dock seems as likely to snap off as to accept your ipod. All in all this seems better suited for gaming than for movie watching and music listening.
Pros Internet, Blu-Ray, Easy-Setup, iPod Dock!!!,HDMI IN/OUT, External HDD hookup! Great all around affordable system!
Cons No wireless internet(but my router is close by and it's faster anyways), GUI is just a little cheesy but gets the job done!
Summary For the price this is a great system! Quick setup and fast internet streaming! The abilty to connect a external harddrive is awesome for saving media. Highly recommended!