"Very sleek and compact iPad keyboard solution."4.0 starson by yaoaddae
Pros: Sleek, compact, lightweight, useful shortcut keys, matches the design of the iPad and does not add bulk.
Cons: Fingerprint magnet on glossy finish (keyboard surface), likely to attract scratches on aluminum finish (back of keyboard).
Summary: I just purchased this product from my local Best Buy. They have several in stock, but none on display. Luckily, there was a box that had already been open for me to check out. I first saw this keyboard on Logitech's website last week, after scouring the web for similar options. Was initially skeptical about it since there were no reviews. I picked this on over the Zagg option because it appeared to add to much bulk to my iPad. I'm actually sitting on the couch with the keyboard in my lap as I write this review on my iPad 2. I purchased this to replace my HP bluetooth keyboard (the one that goes with the HP touchpad). It became a hassle to carry it around town with me, and I wanted to find something smaller and more compact.
I'm actually sitting on the couch with the keyboard in my lap as I write this review on my iPad 2. Here are some of my obervations.
1. The design is very sleek and compact. The keys are tightly spaced together, but I'm still able to type pretty fast. The keys are somewhat noisy and it sounds like I'm hitting each key with my fingernails. But not noisy enough to be a nuisance. The delete (backspace) key is a little small for my taste, but may be on par with other keyboards similar in size. I am switching from a full-sized option though. Would not recommend using this with the iPad in portrait mode. Feels very unstable.
2. My main area of concern dealt with the case I use to cover the back of my iPad. I have the Speck smart shell that works with the Apple Smart Cover. I wasn't sure if it would fit, but it does with no problem. Both the Speck case and the Logitech keyboard fit together flawlessly. However, the case has to be removed when the iPad is placed on the keyboard. The keyboard magnets are not able to secure the iPad with the case on. Also, the hinge on the keyboard is not deep enough to fit the iPad with the case on at the same time. This could be a deal breaker for me. I'm still on the fence about it.
3. The back of the keyboard seems to be constructed of some thin "aluminum type" material. I think it will scratch very easily as it slides across various surfaces during use. It may also get dinged up when being transported. I have a sleeve that I carry my iPad in, so it may not be an issue. But over time, I think it will look very worn.
4. I was able to connect the keyboard to the iPad in seconds. And so far, the keys appear to be very responsive. Unlike my HP keyboard, which tended to lag when keys were pressed. Causing the same letter to appear numerous times.
5. The black plastic surface of the keyboard already has several fingerprints on it. I guess that why it shipped with a cleaning cloth. Not a big deal for me, but may be an issue for some.
6. The various shortcut keys are a nice touch. Especially the ones focused around manipulating text. I can see how those keys will be very useful.
7. I just noticed that the number keys were of no use when I opened up the Evernote app and attempted to enter my security pin. Haven't tested this on other apps yet.
So far, these are my thoughts about the product. Overall, I'm leaning towards keeping it (only purchased it a few hours ago). I like this better than the other options I've seen in person. There is another option currently being funded on Kickstarter called the Brydge (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/552506690/brydge-ipad-do-more?ref=search). If it were available on the market now, I would have probably gotten that one. However, it doesn't appear that I can use the other one with the Speck case when transporting the iPad. But I do like the overall design of the Brydge, and the option for an integrated speaker. Let me know if you have any specific questions, and I'll try to answer them.
Thanks for your submission!
Write a Review
|Initial Sort Order|
|Get free shipping on orders over $25!||Yes|| |
|Free Shipping Over $45!||Yes|| |
|Free Shipping||Yes|| |
|See all prices|