"The best laptop for dication with voice recognition & for taking notes/audio recording in OneNote."4.5 starson by AMHern
Pros: large screen, battery life, external volume control and wireless on/off switch. A very good desktop replacement.
Cons: bloatware, weight.
Summary: I've had 5 laptops over the years, but this is my first tablet, and I've had it for over 2yrs now. I wanted a desktop replacement and a large screen, since I use it to write down notes in mtgs and for word processing (dictating reports for work). I don't have to walk around with it in the field, but it would be too heavy and bulky if that was my purpose.
Things that I love:
1) The microphone in front. You don't HAVE to use an external microphone (although it also has a microphone jack for one) to use the Dragon Naturally Speaking, but using an external noise-cancelling microphone certainly helps. The quality of the recording with the microphone is very good when recording mtgs in OneNote.
2) This laptop has an invaluable feature for dicating reports – the SOUNDMax Control Panel voice filter quite substantially reduces errors when I use Dragon. (I have to turn it on manually every time, but it's very easy to do.) I've not seen such a feature in the other laptops used by co-workers who use also voice recognistion software.
3) I also love that I can change the direction of the tablet very easily. I've read that other tablets don't automatically change rotation when you switch it back and forth from tablet use.
4) The large screen size means I can see more of my notes in OneNote on one page.
5) The external wireless on/off switch and volume control are Toshiba assets. No waiting for the computer programs to be running to mute it or turn of the wireless internet anymore, like with the Dells I've had.
6) I got the additional memory for a total of 2 GB, and it's very fast. I often have several different programs opened at once and have crashed my hard drives with all my previous laptops from the abuse. This tablet isa able to handle whatever I've demanded of it, although I'm not a gamer.
Cons are minimal:
I agree that there is a lot of bloatwear, and most of it was easy to get rid of.
I store a lot of pictures and music on my PC so I wish the storage was greater.
I wish that I could replace my optic drive with an additional battery for extra life for flights like in my previous Dell laptops.