"good printer / expensive consumables"3.5 starson by TheoGoldin
Pros: fast, good quality printouts
Cons: replacement parts cost more than printer, crashes on some efax files
Summary: This printer tries to force you to buy expensive replacement toner cartridges and image drums well before their useful life is over (automatically shuts down after preset number of pages). To work around these limitations, you can do the following:
1. Turn machine on while pushing and holding the TWO up/down menu buttons at same time.
2. Menu window will show "OKI USER"
3. Scroll to " Engine Dialog Mode" is indicated. Push Enter button.
4. "Diagnostic Mode xx.xx.xx S-Mode is indicated.
5. Scroll to "NV-Ram initial" is indicated. Push ENTER.
6. Window shows "NV-Ram- Initial Table 1".
7. Push ONLINE and ENTER Buttons simultaneously and HOLD for 10 seconds after you see "Executing Reset" appear in menu window.
8. Restart printer.
All toner, drum, fuser and transfer figures return to 100%. Of course, if you are out of toner, you do need to refill the cartridges, but you can find refill toner and instructions on ebay (a bit messy, but cheaper than new cartridges). The drums, etc. won't work forever, but they will work longer than the artificial limits imposed by Okidata.