"Needs LOTS of work."2.0 starson by blatzman
Pros: removable battery, looks cool
Cons: alphabetical song listing, color display(read below), small buttons, other glitches.
Summary: when i first turned this on i thought it was the greatest mp3 player yet. then i actually used it. it's not very user friendly:
1. the tracks are listed alphabetically, which to me is not a minor problem. try listening to a live album where they talk about the next sony they're going to play, but you get to hear the next alphabetical song. that sucks.
2. the color display can't be viewed without the backlight on. this presents several problems. if you leave the backlight on all the time it eats your battery life very quickly. the only solution is to set it up so the backlight turns off, but then you have to hit any button to "wake up" the unit and see the display. you also have to "wake up" the unit to perform any function, like skipping to the next song on shuffle. example; you have to hit the skip button once to wake up the unit, then again to skip to the next song. pretty dumb! the display is also too small to use it for photos. the aspect ratio is also more tall than wide, which means you get black bars and even smaller picture on an already small display. it would be much more practical to have a monochrome display that's visible without backlight, than to have a color display that's too small for practical use.
3. the album name is not shown on the "now playing" screen. not good when it's on shuffle.
4. the buttons on the side for play and track skip/scan are small and indistinguishable. it's tough to operate without looking at it.
5. with several albums, including some pre-loaded music, hitting the back button while a song is playing brings you to a blank screen, instead of the song list. hitting it againg brings you to the root "music" menu, instead of the list of albums by that artist. this appears to be some sort of glitch, but should have been detected, especially since it happend with music that came on the player.
6. i've also had problems syching with napster. don't know if that's the players problem, or napster's.
I COULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLAYER TO ANYONE!! i hope these problems are fixed with a firmware upgrade, which they probably all could except for the button layout. if so, this could be a salvageable unit.