Pros display, playback quality, zine store, EASY to use, FM Radio, wireless sync
Cons Zune software wants a powerful PC
Summary * The screen is very bright and clear.
* Video playback is cool. If the video is widescreen, it will rotate the screen and the controls. So, if you need to increase the volume, then you don’t need to think about which way is really “up.”
* Sound quality is much better than my ipod with the same headphones. I don’t have the newest ipod, so sound quality may have improved with a newer codec.
* It plays all my WMA and WMV files without converting!! This is a huge pain in itunes.
* The Zune has an FM radio with a RDS. The radio is as clear as my car radio.
* Wireless sync. We were able to sync media content over our wireless network. (we may turn this off, I bet it kills the battery)
* The Zune software is a pleasure. Setup took a long time on my old PC, but it is very simple to use. Just drag the videos/songs/photos/etc… to the Zune icon and it syncs. There is no “undocking” or “ejecting” the device. You simply unplug it. All content is very organized. The photo content is especially attractive.
* The onscreen menu of the device is easy to use and intuitive. For example, it is simple to set a photo as your background because the control is where you think it would be and not buried under 24 layers of sub menus.
* If I ever upgrade my Media Center to Vista, then all my Media Center content will auto sync. This is really cool since I use Media Center as my only DVR. I’ll be able to watch recorded TV on the Zune.
What don’t I like about the Zune?? Not much - it works like you think it should.
* One thing that stood out was that the control wheel is different. With my ipod, you scroll in a circle. With Zune, you scroll up and down.
* Also, the included earbuds do not have great bass response and are too big for my wife’s ears.
* I don’t understand the integration between WMP11 and Zune. Do my tag edits in WMP11 effect the Zune library? WMP12 and Zune need to merge for simplicity
* Since the laptop that runs the Zune software is old, we don’t get all the flashy animation.
Pros Until it 'died', it worked fine.
Cons When the product failed, there is no way to diagnose, no way to determine exact problem.
Summary I will have to wait days or weeks, to see if they decide to honor their repair policy as stated on the internet ($69.99), or $99.99 as it changed to when I "submitted" the problem on the internet , or $79.99 as the people in India declared as the policy. Bottom line, since the unit is (all of) 16 months old, I wish they could diagnose, or at least quote a replace/repair cost. They can't do either. Do I want to do business with such a sleazy group?
BUYER BE WARE!
"You can have mine"on by kitteld
Pros Nothing at all
Cons All I wanted to do was drop audio files onto this thing. The software sucks. Im sure theres a way to do all the things I want to with this but after a month, Im still not sure how that is. Don't bother looking at the instructions. There aint none.
Summary All I wanted to do with this thing was to drop audio files on it so I can listen to them while driving. Like all things Microsoft or Apple though, they can't just make a product to do what you want, they have to have a whole lot of software unique to them. I've had this thing for a month and i still can't make it work right. When it syncs it only downloads some of the files. My old $20 mp3 player by Craig was like a thumb drive, plug it in, drag files over to it and youre done. You cant do anything with this thing though unless each computer you plug it into has the opperating software downloaded on it. Then you have to manage the files on your computer which is then supposed to sync with the ZUNE each time you plug it in. Sounds great, but doesnt work so well. Playing audio files should be stupid easy. With this thing its not. There are no instructions included with it except how to plug it in and download the software from the website. Apparently thats supposed to be the hardest part. Im getting something else. This thing will be on EBAY by the end of the month.
Pros sound quality, battery life, size and feel (not too small), menu and naviagtion, wireless sync, screen quality, zune to zune, FM radio, easy to use software...
Cons the software install can be a little rough, low bandwidth users beware.
Summary make sure your windows is up to date, survive the install and you will not regret it! this little device is awesome. the list of pros goes on and on, but most notably is the ease of use for the zune software once installed. with it, sync'ing is a breeze. definitely happy and have no plans of switching back.
Pros touch pad, interface, overall quality
Cons none i can think of :)
Summary My zune has never let me down. it's fun, unique, good battery life, and sturdy!