"Touch screen is easy, clean pix, much tech support time"4.0 starson by DargaTvir
Pros: Clean pix, very patient tech support that answers the phone quickly, Lexmark promptly replaced a printer, the Pro 901, that was not working
Cons: My big issues:
1. My first printer from Lexmark was the pro 901, and it could not print from my computer. Lexmark promptly sent a replacement, the Pro 905. The difference between the Pro 905 and the Pro 901 is the 905 has 2 paper trays. They are the same
Summary: 1. Automatic Document Feeder (ADF)--it has been working just fine. I have only used it for 8 1/2 X 11 inch documents, some folded, and having no problems. I saw a review from someone with ADF problems, so I was keen to check this out.I continue to have ongoing fax issues. It is like a continuing bad joke. Yesterday I could not send a fax. I had to plug in my 12-year old HP 3100 in order to get my faxes sent out. Using speed dial, the HP 3100 required 2 button pushes and my faxes were sent. The Lexmark 905 requires at least 6 button pushes to send a fax--even with the phone number on the speed dial.
2. Printing from the computer has been crisp in B & W and in color. Photo printing onto regular paper is better than my last printer. I have no experience printing onto photo paper. I am physical therapist and I print pictures to look at my client's form, so I do not need to print onto photo paper. I did see a review where someone ranted about the white frame around the photo's. To my eye, the frame is just fine. I also saw a reference somewhere about color ink getting used for black and white printing, but I have not followed up on that. When the print button (it has a diamond shape) is pressed, the default is to print in color, so if one is printing b & w, one needs to go into the touch screen to specify b & w. It is an easy step on the touch screen, but it does require paying attention.
3. Copying is not as crisp with some graphics, but certainly adequate for my small office.
4. Faxing has been a challenge. Sending has been fine. Receiving has required many hours with tech support to set up.
5. Scanning has been easy for a tech-spaz such as myself. The touch screen and the window that pops up are all very straight forward.
6. Tech support receives high marks. They answer the phone quickly and are very patient.
7. Why 4 stars? The machine is spiffy and tech support has been great.
Updated on Apr 14, 2011
There has been a great deal of time spent trying to get the fax function to work. I may have made a mistake giving the 905 four stars yesterday.