"You can't beat this Laser Fax Machine"4.5 starson by postype
Pros: So many features including PC interface - Economical
Cons: Very few if any - poor scanning software
Summary: This 5-In-One unit is truly awesome, I did my research before purchasing the MFC-8220. I did not have much respect for Brother, I do now!!! I looked at a number of similar units from an assortment of manufacturers. Brother has done their homework and comeup with a B&W Laser Multi-Function unit that is one of the best. If you are looking for the best then look no more....
1. Top quality Fast laser output by either faxes received, Printing direct from your PC or Mac or Top quality Copies from your scanned original.
2. The fax software is awesome on the PC, fast and paperless, lets you fax direct from your PC thru your MFC-8220. You can create a phone book on the fly or just enter any fax number for one time use and send if from almost any program on your PC, This truly saves time and paper and of course toner.
3. Cost per page for paper & toner is 2.2 Cents per page.
4. Tons of features too many to list here. Did I mention Fast, it is.
5. For just scanning with the software that came with the unit from your PC that is the drawback. This is not a flatbed so it is limited in that respect. You can't scan books, etc. The User's Guide is quite thick so I guess there are lots of features I don't know about.
6. Stores 32 numbers with 1 or 2 button storage for Speed-dial faxing and up to 300 speed dial locations.
7. Lots of reports as needed. 32 MB of memory.
8. LAN capable. Group Broadcasting. Energy Star. 250 Sheet tray. Single sheet feed also. up to 14"
9. A feature I really wanted was to have a handset for telephone use if needed when my other line is in use. This feature is also worth it.
Bottom line is if you need a Very High Quality Laser Printer, this is it, If you need a very High Quality Fax Machine This is it. If you need a very low cost unit this is it. If you want flawless software this is it for the most part.
Another great feature of the MFC-8220 is the price, you just can't beat it for what it does.