"Does anybody read the directions?"4.5 starson by dangerfish
Pros: I am in awe of this machine
Cons: You might be required to use your brain to set it up
Summary: I frequently find myself buying high tech products after doing research online where others have had no luck with the product. I get the product home and am able to set it and get it running without too much difficulty. My decision to buy this printer is another perfect example.
A review a few days ago said that his copies were "flying" out of the unit and there was no mechanism to catch the copies so he just had to stand there. Well, right there in the "start here" guide is a box with a pretty picture explaining how to flip out the copy tray extender to prevent this from happening. Another reviewer says he was not told to disable his antivirus software before beginning installation. Well, that is spelled out in the manual as well. In fact, it is step #1 under the "install the software" section. The only thing I can think is that most people think that you can just pull a computer type item out of the box and just start using it. Unfortunately, that is not the case. This is a $500 multifunction printer, not a pencil. You may have to engage a few neurons.
Here's how I got up and running. Following the directions, I first connected the unit wirelessly to my network using the front panel of the printer. Then I did an "express" install using the supplied CD on my 3 yr old XP home machine. The full install had all the photo editing bloatware and I dont need or want that so I saw no reason to install it. I also installed the Mac software onto my laptop at the same time. Installation on both machines combined took less than 15 minutes. Then, I did run into a little confusion. A wireless connection wizard came up so I went through that eventhough I thought I had already set that up. Didnt work. Then I remembered that I had implemented mac address filtering on my router and so I had to go make some adjustments there. I messed around with the wireless stuff for about half an hour (I had some trouble with my WEP key as well) and then it was working. Since then, I have just been playing with all the features.
Things I have tested, set up or noticed:
1. Scanned a picture right into Adobe Photo Shop Elements.
2. Duplex copy. Seems to work OK but the copy did seem to be out of alignment a little. Many have complained about this and I would agree that it may be a legitimate problem.
3. Transfered pictures wirelessly to my computer using the card reader. But it transfered them slowly when using my 6 megapixel camera. I have a b network and not g so that would probably improve it quite a bit. So for now, I will probably continue to use my usb 2.0 card reader. The wireless transfer WAS faster than if I were using a usb 1.1 card reader.
4. I put envelopes in the top tray and paper in the bottom tray. The printer automatically prints from the correct tray depending on if I am printing envelopes or regular documents.
5. This puppy prints FAST!!!!!!
6. In the fax software, I was able to fully customize the look of the cover sheet and put my company logo on it and then set it as the default. Nice.
So I give this guy a nine out of ten because of my little snafu with the wireless setup. It would have been perfect if it would have just worked right the first time, but I will admit that it probably was my fault because of all the things I forgot to change on my router. Potentially, I could have been up and running in 15 minutes. I think this machine is amazing and worth the money that I paid for it. You are going to be hard pressed to find another machine that offers as much as this one does. So go buy it. Take it out of the box and put it together. Then allow it to acclimate to its new environment for one day before turning it on. During that time, READ THE MANUALS!!!!Updated
OK, I have been using this machine for a couple of weeks and could not be happier with my purchase. I have used every function from both my Mac and my PC, both wireless. I have had very few problems. I have had a couple of "connection" issues, but both were resolved quickly. Once I restared the PC and the other time I restarted the print spool. Other than that, no problems. I find the speed of the printer to be exceptional. The photos I have printed have been incredible and I'm not even using the 6 color ink system. If you buy this thing, do yourself a favor. Read the direction. Do some google searches to find resolutions to problems other people have had and you will have very little problem with this printer.