"Not Value For Money"1.5 starson by anujchandkapoor
Pros: 1. Very Fast
2. Never Drops
3. Easy of handling the HDD
Cons: 1. Very bad software design.
2. Inbuilt applications like Photostation does not deliver to what they claim to in the web site.
3. See details of my review to know more.
Summary: 1. Very bad software design.I strongly disagree with the review given by CNET on DS710+. It may be the fastest NAS in the market but its clumsy software design and lack of even the basic functionalities in its default applications, makes this NAS an EXPENSIVE USELESS TOY.
2. No help documents for its inbuilt applications.
3. Inbuilt applications like Photostation does not deliver to what they claim to in the web site.
4. Very difficult to install a 3rd party software (Since the default software offers not even the basic of the functions)
5. Time required to revive out of Hibernation is high.
6. All these and more does NOT make this product a value for money, specially when this is one of the most expensive NAS
This feedback that i gave to the product development team that develops software for the DS 710+ NAS.
I am not at all satisfied with the quality and flexibility of software given with this NAS. It should be know that this is the most expensive NAS in the market and that I have not paid SGD1000 so that I have to struggle my way just to have a photo album of my own on the net.
Example of the poorly developed software is the Photo Station 4. The following is enough to make anyone mad:
1. You cannot change the nested albums thumbnail.
2. Indexing with this NAS is a huge problem, Firstly we never come to know weather is indexing of the files is complete or not, as if you see in the logs it only logs the event of when the indexing was started, but does not give any info of when it ended and was it successful.
3. Worst of all in the photo station 4 I cannot define individually the download privilege of a user, that means I cannot have only one user to have download access, its either all will have download access or none will have. (The person who designed this should be fired at once)
4. The system hibernation is not controllable, only the HDD hibernation is.
I have found all the above shortcomings in just a week of my purchasing this NAS. I have started repenting buying such an expensive product which does not deliver up to its demanded cost.
Definitely I will never recommend this product to anyone even if its cost goes down from SGD1000 (which I paid) to SGD500
You all have truly disappointed me.
Updated on Aug 2, 2010