Pros Controls easily customized - graphics pretty good - game play ok. Good game for the money
Cons Glitchy interaction - WAY too much involved with online reg, didn't allow me to use previous ubisoft reg. name and passwords - needed new e-mail, new name and new password - not happy about that. downloading updates also a problem.
Summary I loved the original FarCry - this one is pretty good too ..... but I've experienced so much frustration with the game ..... I'm not sure I would put myself through that again. I might not have bought it if I had known what I was in for.
Pros The landscape in this game is nothing short of breathtakingly beautiful. It is highly representative of Africa with jungles, plains, deserts, shanty towns, shody bridges and unused railway tracks, burning cars and rusty old weapons and vehicles.
Cons Everything in Far Cry 2 is almost perfect, but nothing in this game is actually perfect. Whether its a rusty car that works exactly like a brand new Jeep Wrangler, or first mission of the game to the last, it becomes very repetitive very quickly.
Summary Far Cry 2 sends you to Africa within seconds of it loading up. You immediately feel dirty, alone and far from civilisation. The characters and landscape are immediately threatning, and you begin to look for the exit immediately.
As soon as you are left to your own devices, you feel like you are in Africa, from the sun beaten dirt roads, to the dilapidated shanty structures and the eternal buzz eminating from the insects.
So, you gather yourself, grab the resources you need and head out to face the dispair head on, hoping to "fix" the situation in which you find yourself. You tackle the missions head on, improve your resources and develop as much intel and knowledge as you can only to find that nothing changes, nothing improves, and even less gets worse.
As fast as you were thrown into Africa, you are just as quickly thrown into boredom. The characters you meet are only vaguely interesting, the different tasks can all be experienced within two or three hours, which means you have got another 30 or so hours of monotony awaiting you.
With a miriad of weapons, vehicles, sites and tasks, the situation is always the same. You will meet bad guys, you will need to take them out and you will get paid all the same. There is very little difference in what you need to do to finish each step let alone complete the game.
The most fun had, comes from exploring Africa, playing with one or two of the weapons or trying to do silly things with the vehicles. Once achieved, there is very little to keep you entertained.
It definitely is a game worth buying to experience a truly different, specifically African landscape. Its accurate and complete, but not much else.
If you are into good story telling, this one aint the one for you.
"Outstanding"on by Pon666
Pros The guns, the storyline, the realism, the graphics, the bug free programming
Cons Getting to locations on the map CAN get pretty frustrating sometimes. Because the map is really big.
Summary People, this game is damn worth the money.
Pros Weapon selection
Plenty to do
Cons Installation glitches
Quickload can freeze game
Storyline goes to hell, ending sucks
Summary Fun game to play, you can choose (up to a point) which missions you do first so you can get better weapons before tackling harder missions. If you like first person shooters you will enjoy the game, just don't go looking for the next great thing in this one.
Be sure to shut down EVERYTHING before installing this game, I even had to shut down my mouse software.
Pros visually appealling, stable (hasn't crashed on me yet), and that's about it.
Cons Physics engine is total garbage, A.I is beyond poor (this is a 1995 A.I in a 2008 game. Seriously. Duke Nukem had comparable A.I.) You will need 1gb video cards to take advantage of the graphics (and in SLI/crossfire setup as well)
Summary I'll start with the "good" since it's a very short list. The graphics are good. This is 2008 and we should expect better, but they're good non-the-less. I say this because when the GeForce2 came out, I watched the nvidia video's showing what that card was capable of, and it pretty much looked like this game. We expect better in 2008 going on '09... The game is stable, they know how to code. I have to add this because it's uncommon when a game comes out that actually works proper throughout on its first revision.
Let's get to why the game is not worth getting. The only thing the game has going for it is decent graphics. The physics are trash (and that's probably putting a shine on it). The A.I. is so poor I can't even begin to put it into words, it's a train wreck you just have to witness to believe. This makes the game almost unplayable. Examples;
1) When you are driving and pass a car going the opposite direction, the other car( the bad guys) will turn around, catch up with you instantly, and even pass you. I have my foot to the floor, this shouldn't happen. In other words, forget about trying to evade a fight if your health/ammo is down, it isn't happening.
2) Don't even bother to try and be stealth, there is no such thing in this game. Oh you do have some stealth weapons, it's the physics engine that makes being stealth impossible. "Hide" in the grass outside of an encampment, then pick off one guy standing alone and away from anyone else (and use the "silent" dart gun). Almost instantly, the entire camp will know exactly where the shot came from and be on you like stink on an ape. If you really want to see how lame the physics are, hide behind a tree, let a vehicle pass you then poke your head out to shoot the passenger (open cab vehicle) in the back and then hide behind the tree again. Almost instantly the driver will be turned around and if you don't move around the tree, you will get run over. He knows exactly where you are even though you used a silenced weapon, shot from behind, and are "hidden".
3) When you shoot someone in the "graphics intense" game, there are no bullet holes. Well, sometimes you can get one little entrance wound to show up if you go over to a dead body and shoot them in the arm. I can use the .50 cal. sniper rifle and shoot a guy in the head, but there is no evidence of a wound on the corpse.
4) Don't try and hide in the grass/shrubs/trees. Seriously. They already know where you are. And you're already surrounded, you just don't know it yet. Oh, and there is a vehicle coming from out of nowhere that will run you over if you stay in one spot and try to fend them off.
5) Drive by a checkpoint, kill all the bad guys, drive down the road a bit, turn around and come back. Bet they're not dead anymore. It's not like you can go around the checkpoints to avoid the confrontation (you know, if you're low on health/bullets, might be an asset). As explained earlier, you can't just drive through and run a couple over, keep driving and get away. Someone always lives. And they have superhuman aim. You will take a bullet, even in your car, you'll take a bullet. 100 mph on the speedo and a bullet will hit you, swerving left and right just means you get hit more often.
6) The weapons in the game are all pretty much the same. One is no more powerful than the other. Same as one is no more accurate then the other. Ummm... for giggles, try using the .50 cal. sniper rifle up close. Walk up to somone, without using the scope, just aim it at the guy with just the crosshairs and pull the trigger. He didn't drop? You're right. You can be point blank with this rifle, almost walking into your enemy and pull the trigger (can't miss!) and you miss him. The only way to hit the guy is by using the scope. At inches away you need the scope to make this rifle work.
7) To real get a feel for how bad the driving physics are you'd have to play the original battlefield 1942. Hop in a jeep in Battlefield 1942 and then hop into a vehicle in FarCry2. The more things change, the more they stay the same....
Okay, enough on the physics/A.I. The list goes on forever, believe me. Play the game, you'll see. Let's talk about the story for a bit. You start the game with malaria (yeah, THAT malaria). You constantly have to do side missions to get malaris pills. Give me a break. Who's dumb idea was this and why did they run with it?! "You know guys, what this game really needs is a good case of malaria!" How many six packs of some local MicroBrew that only college kids that walk around with a guitar playing it on the beach did you have to go through to think THAT was a good idea??!
Anyways, not enough words to really go over how bad this game is. It's got nice scenery, and that's it. Seriously.
You'll need 1gb video cards in an SLI/crossfire setup to crank up the display settings, two 512mb cards will let you crank it up some, but not fully. This is for 1920x1200, smaller screens may vary.