"Pathetic customer service, should be a good product"0.5 starson by markhopski
Pros: "open" system for files of any type format (not an apple slave)
Cons: awful customer service
short battery life
Summary: My archos experience is actually the absolute worst that I have come across in 20 years of buying high tech products.
A timeline of my ?Archos Experience?:
1. Oct 2007: I purchase the 605 wi-fi, the dvr station and the add-on web browser and cinema plug-in. All-in cost of approximately $550.
2. Nov/Dec 2007: I am the envy of Apple crazed friends with my 605 wi-fi and I am extremely happy with the product;
3. Mid Dec 2007: The 605 will not turn on;
4. Jan 2008: I exchange emails with technical support (Ticket#: 20364895) to identify problem late January after settling into a new project overseas (Spain). Ultimately, the technician suggests contacting Archos locally to get an RMA for Europe repair;
5. Feb 2008: RMA obtained and product sent to Archos RMA # EAD-04-0801313199 in early February;
6. April 2008: 605 received back although not in working condition. After discussion with technical support, I reloaded the firmware and it recorded some programs and seemed to be in good working order. Two days later it failed to turn on and generally was in a frozen state (though different than earlier in the year);
7. July 2008: Busy with work ? I just set it aside out of frustration with the option of a local RMA repair again. Contacted Archos in July and received a new RMA992305558 for USA repair;
8. September 2008: Repaired Archos now received and I pick it up and bring back to Spain only to find again that while it will turn on -there is a hard drive issue that will not allow it to record!!
There you have it. 12 months of ownership and 2 months of use. To make matters worse - the battery is now such that the most it will charge up is to 3 bars - just over half. Even if it did work - that would render it useless.
How can a company expect to possibly achieve ANYTHING if they return "repaired" products that DO NOT WORK!
I would love to try their newest product - but out of principle - I will never buy another Archos product in my lifetime and I will do everything possible to dissuade anyone else that I know from doing so.