"OK, but ..."on by Philamon
Pros Convenient to have all media in one place; simple operation; easier to find a file than to shuffle through DVD/CD stack
Cons Average image quality; seizes up unexpectedly; annoying bugs
Summary Agree with CNET editors' review: it provides an accurate overview. A few extra points:
- The supplied composite video cable provides fuzzy images. An S-video or component cable is required to get reasonable image quality (as the CNET editors said, no more than reasonable).
- If you have an extensive library of existing media content that it doesn't play (e.g. from Windows Media Center), IMHO cutting DVDs is easier than working out a suitable conversion format and converting the files.
- It can seize up if the file quality is poor, even if the file is playable on a computer. When it seizes up, the only solution is to 'pull the plug' (no reset button).
- Fast forward / fast rewind may cause it to seize up on some files that it can play at normal speed.
- When connected to a TV, on startup it sometimes doesn't show the available directories or files. It may take more than one restart before the files become visible.
- Not all of the available options are effective. For example, if playback is stopped, then resumed, it provides an option to continue or start again. however, it starts again regardless of the response.
- The manual describes in detail how to convert the supplied FAT32 format to NTFS, but doesn't warn about backing up the files that allow firmware upgrades.
- Support is OK, but a bit slow, and they tend to ask for more information than they supply.
Pros Great blunt object to use as a weapon?
Cons Service is absolutely horrible
Summary La Cie gave me the worst service I've ever experienced. Beware of this company if you value your data.
Pros almost all standard - no question asked
Cons not connected to tv and pc at the same time
Summary can download any kind of video than upload to the lacinema. The bad part is that you need to disconnect from the pc and conncet to the tv. Then it is piece of cake to start on any tv, connect with the remore controla nd watch the videos.
It is also a standard usb hard drive that you can connect to friends PC to take their videos. You will have one tera of video in no time.
It is a usb drive and a multi format pvr. i love the concept.