"Very very good. Very impressed with the technology."4.0 starson by owenbrent
Pros: Easy to use. Nice sound from such a small radio. Connected my wireless internet connection without any problem.
The remote is a nice accessory.
Cons: The display is too bright at night, but I found a simple solution. Go to your nearest window tinting company and ask for a scrap piece of window film. I used a 5% or 10% darkness.
Could use presets to make it quicker to start listening to the radio.
Summary: When I saw this radio on the internet I was very excited. I was looking just for a plain old clock radio that used a digital tuner instead of the old kind that kept losing the station. I have gone through a lot of clock radios, but I think I have found the one that will last and keep me satisfied. Some of the best features of this radio that I have found are:
- Digital tuner that stays in tune. Picks up a lot of stations too.
- An antenna input that will allow you to improve the reception if you need it.
- An alarm clock that allows you to set a volume and it remembers it. It even gradually picks up the volume. No more heart attacks when the radio alarm goes off because the last person using it was ROCKING THE HOUSE DOWN (kids).
- More than one alarm. Its kind of neat that you can wake up to one radio station and then have the radio tune to a different radio station for the next alarm. You can also set what days to have the alarm wake you up. You no longer have to remember to turn it off on the weekends.
-13,000 radio stations to choose from. What else is there to say about that.
- RCA jacks in the back of the radio. I connected mine to an amplifier with a good set of speakers and was amazed by the sound quality. The display is large enough that I can see it across the room. I put the radio near my stereo and use the remote to control the radio. My bedside table is not cluttered with a large clock radio anymore, all I have is a couple of remotes and a lamp now.
- If there is an internet radio station that you don't find on vtuner, it is easy to add it.
I would like to see the following features added in the future. Since the radio is upgradable through firmware upgrades it may be possible.
- Presets that you can access easily. Perhaps through the numbers on the remote.
- Have the radio start where it was left off. I guess you can work around this by just muting the sound, but it would be nice if when you go to the radio it plays the last station selected, and when you go to the internet radio it also goes to the last station selected.
- The ability to record what you are listening to onto a usb drive, and the ability to program when and what station to record.
- A computer interface program that would make the unit easy to program.
- More control over the light! One thing for sure, if you have this in a very bright room, you will have no trouble reading the display.
Note: When I was trying to figure out a nice clean way to put the window film over the display, I thought that putting it inside would look the nicest so I took the unit apart. I ended up keeping it on the outside, because taking out the screen is difficult and could end up killing the unit. I was impressed with how the radio was constructed. The speaker is actually two speakers. One very small (Tweeter?) and one slightly larger. Hard to believe so much sound can come from those two speakers.
Anyway, to make a long story short, it works, its not too expensive, has lots of features, and it sounds good.