"Powerful, Stable, and Simple!!!"5.0 starson by blueboy499
Pros: - Sleek, Slim, & Efficient GUI
- 3 Powerful Antennas
- Gigabit Ethernet
- Gigabit Wireless Capable (802.11ac adapter needed)
- Easy & Quick Setup
- GUI Can Be Understood by Almost Anyone
- Settings Can Still Be Configured In Great Deta
Cons: - USB Ports Aren't USB 3.0 (not many routers have USB 3.0 yet)
- A Bit Pricey (but just the same as the competition for other 802.11 AC routers)
- An 802.11ac Card Isn't Included (I'm just grabbing at straws in this section)
Summary: More Pros:
- The ASUS DDNS service is a free and embedded service for this router
- 2 USB Ports for Network Attached Storage and/or Printer Sharing
- Parental Controls
- AiDisk (allows you to create/manage your own cloud server for free)
- Free ASUS AiCloud app available in the Android Market and the iTunes App Store for accessing your own cloud server from anywhere
- Download Master Application: Allows you to continue downloading, even when your computer is off
- Media Server, FTP, VPN, Samba Service, and Firewall support within the firmware
- Configurable IPv6 Settings
While its GUI may seem a little daunting to inexperienced users their first time configuring the router, Asus makes the setup easy and simple for just about anyone. On the other hand; advanced users will find that even though the interface is sugar-coated with pretty graphics, there are many similarities in the depth of configuration options that are available to you in the Asus RT-AC66U firmware, when comparing it to the majority of the layouts found in the popular DD-WRT firmware.
One of the few things I would advise a new owner to do just after unboxing, is to download the newest firmware version directly from the Asus Support website, before taking the time to configure the router's settings. A current bug in the firmware (which I know Asus is working to fix as I type this) is: when a firmware version update check is initialized within the GUI (through Administration -> Firmware Upgrade -> Check (button)), the service does not correctly detect the specific version number of the actual newest firmware released. As a result, new firmware versions may have been released by Asus through their official support site, but the firmware version check service only upgrades the firmware to an obsolete version.
Overall a fantastic router that; even at $200 when I bought it, was well worth the investment. I have installed and configured many routers (80+) over the past 5 years, and the Asus RT-AC66U is the best router that I have come across so far! If you are looking for a fast and powerful router that will not become obsolete for many years, I would highly recommend this Asus RT-AC66U wireless router.