"Great Phone with some caveats"4.0 starson by karenua
Pros: This phone is awesome and the free apps are perfect for my needs. I can't imagine why I would need any of the Apple iphones with this.
Cons: Out of the box batterly life was dismal.
Touchscreen buttons/keyboard might be small for some people.
Summary: This phone has been out for over a year and I'm not sure Verizon even sells it anymore, but it is fabulous. The recent upgrade to Android 2.1 made a good phone even better. The free apps are plentiful and extremely useful. My favorites are the new free Kindle app, Google Maps with voice navigation, and Shop Savvy for comparing prices on the go. However, all that pales in comparison to the integration with google email, my other non-google email accounts and google calendar. I FINALLY can take my office with me. It is the solution I have been wishing for for years and years!
There are a couple of caveats which took some tinkering to overcome, the most serious of which was the dismal battery life out of the box. The battery initially drained in about 3 hours. While that might be acceptable for your typical laptop, it wasn't acceptable for a phone. It took some fiddling to optimize the battery usage and I now get 3 to 4 days between recharging the battery. The solutions were:
1. Draining and recharing the phone battery as directed.
2. Installing app killing software (free) to terminate unneeded background applications
3. Keeping GPS turned off except when actually in use in an application
4. Disabling the htc Sense UI and using the native android UI (this step may not have been necessary, but once I disabled the Sense UI I liked the android UI better so I kept it as the default. )
5. Turning the screen brightness down to a lower level - which actually is a preference since the default level was way too bright.
Also, support from Verizon/Htc has been pretty lacking - especially in the system updates that have come out. They clearly were not fully tested and the glitches that accompanied them were highly annoying. Having to turn to forums to find out how to restore all my contacts after the latest update was aggravating to say the least. But, that's not the phone's fault. All in all - I love this phone. Oh - and call quality is excellent too!