"The Best Hardware & Productivity Phone Out There!"5.0 starson by lusayalumino
Pros: Wi-Fi file transfer
Can Disable Sprint Software
Auto/Home Dock Stations/Software
Cons: More Function than Form (isn't as pretty as some phones)
Not as vivid as a few other phones
There are phones with better cameras.
Not all apps can take advantage of the robust resolution
• Instantly & natively (without rooting phone or installing 3rd party apps) transfer files to and from Phone's Internal Memory and SD Memory directly to your PC using Windows Explorer via USB or Wi-Fi!
• Very Comfortable to hold, put up to face, and work on
• VERY Loud Ear Speaker
• Very Fast & Responsive
• Motorola are absolute experts in Hardware (they've been servicing NASA for decades)
• Desktop Communication is out of this world; tempted to stop using my Notebook
• TONS of memory (16GB + 1GB onboard; 32GB side loaded)
• You can totally disable Motorola & Sprint Skins & Programs (not that you need to -- this phone flies!). But if you do, you'll disable some fantastic Motorola widgets.
• Ridiculously high resolution really shines through on certain apps
• Super strong Corning Gorilla Glass anti-glare anti-scratch display
• Standard USB; Standard HDMI (well positioned on side of phone instead of bottom; huge advantage in many circumstances)
• Excellent and practical Kick-Stand which also works with software
• Special automatic programs to make it super easy to use with separate auto docking station (put the thing in your car's docking station and it has huge buttons and really practical car apps). Dock is only $60 and even comes with 18" jack for audio to car stereo. Dock has insert that allows phone to go into car dock with or without a case (only certain cases however)
• Special web app programs to use your phone as a computer on a TV or Monitor and still make calls, texts, emails, etc while using the phone as a computer with wireless mouse and keyboard.
• Phenomenal optional accessories including an amazing remote control (http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile+Phone+Accessories/Wireless-Accessories/Motorola-Smart-Controller-US-EN )
• A bit business-like phone in its look, feel, and hardware (won't appeal to Gen-Y as much as other phones)
• Screen seems less vivid and to pop a little less than some other phones (but at the same time, perhaps a bit more accurate in its color reproduction)
• There are phones with better cameras.
• Not all apps can take advantage of the robust resolution
Motorola is a company that has done high-end precision tech-work for decades with NASA and other major tech industries and companies. Their experience shines through as they created this phone to be durable, practical, efficient, and productive. For Blackberry, Windows Mobile, Palm, and other users that couldn't make the jump to Android because of loss of control, features, and productivity - Motorola has made the jump easier with this phone.
Hook the phone up to your PC's USB and pull down the drop down menu from the Photon to get these options:
• Motorola Phone Portal - Instantly Downloads & Installs free software (expect it to take 20" to download, install, and update this free, but robust software suite) to your PC from Motorola.com which syncs the phone to the PC allowing you to control Music, Photos, Videos, Podcasts, Playlists, etc. Let's you sync files you choose between Windows and your phone - and you can choose which files go to your PC from your phone and vice versa. This software also has built in backup software to instantly backup your storage card to your PC. It allows you to choose the location of your backup and will remind you to do so on a regular basis at the interval you choose. I personally just use my favorite backup program to do this (more below under "USB Mass Storage").
• Windows Media Sync - Allows you to use the Windows Media Sync on your PC with the phone
• USB Mass Storage - Mounts the phone as two drives: 1)Phone Internal Storage 2)Phone's External SD. This enables your phone to operate like two separate hard drives right in Windows (just launch Windows Explorer)! You can Right-Click the drive and rename them (e.g. "DROID" and "32GB SD"). Furthermore, you can permanently assign a drive letter to your droid's two drives which will allow you to use backup software on your PC (the drive letters won't change when you hookup other peripheral devices) Seamlessly and effortlessly backup your Photon's Internal and External contents without lifting a finger. To do this on your PC make sure your phone is connected via "USB Mass Storage" and on your PC: Windows Button > Type "computer management" and launch that program > Expand "Storage" and click "Disk Management". After it scans you will see all your drives including the two Photon drives. Right-Click each, one at a time, choosing "Change Drive Letter..." I changed mine to N and O (nice and far down the alphabet). Now you can access the drive path without it ever changing so you can have backup software read/write to and from your phone/computer. So you can change a file and/or add files on your pc or phone and keep them synced and backed up.
• Charge Only - This is great if you want to use your phone while charging it via your PC's USB port.
Wi-FI FILE SHARING!
SMB File Sharing Over Wi-Fi without ROOT, Hack, or SMB 3rd Party App!
OK, now this is amazing. The Photon comes preloaded with a Motorola App which allows you to do file sharing between your PC and phone over Wi-Fi! Just tap the Red "M" icon on your phone ("Phone Port") and your phone will tell you how to access it from your PC (e.g. it will tell you to type http://192.168.77.214:8080 into your browser). Fantastic and simple!
This phone has way too many robust and hidden features to do justice in this review. Go to YouTube and start looking at the three different docks for this phone, the two different remote controls, etc. This phone will not disappoint!