"2 days with my Lumia and I LOVE IT. Fast and awesome."4.5 starson by ZeFrenchman
Pros: - awesome screen and nav.
- ease: all email accounts, facebook and linkedIn set-up in 5min. No apps
- transferred contacts from old phone using bluetooth. worked ;)
- Sent 20 fb messages this morning. never managed that with old phone.
Cons: - No front video; who cares. Never used it with old phone
- video in 720px only.
- "dearth of apps" according to papers. Maybe so, but not unlike Mac in 90s. Had little apps compared to PC (few games ,etc.), that didn't make them any less good!
Summary: Just got my Lumia 2 days ago and I LOVE IT.
Before you ask I had an iPhone 3gs (stolen) in he past and was currently using HTC HD 2 (which I was generally happy with).
Since I got my Lumia I managed to :
- create all my email accounts + facebook and linkedIn in 5min top. Fact. No need for apps
- transferred all my contacts from my old phone using bluetooth. That worked a treat.
- Managed to send 20 comments on facebook which I had never done it in 2years before. That is that simple.
what I like is the fact that you can link contacts together (e.g. a contact with his linkedId and facebook profile) and see all interactions with that contact from one place. So too to interact with them. The "people" hub as they call it is superb.
I know there is no front video (there was in my old phone but never used it) and the camera only records in 720px. And it has a "dearth of apps" as the papers call it. However it reminds me of the Macintosh in the 90s. They do had a dearth of apps compared to PC (very few games ,etc...) but that didn't make them any less good.
Comparing Lumia and Windows Phone with the Macintosh of the past might shock more that one. But I feel it's very relevant : Market Share is tiny compared to Apple but being the small player they have been forced to do things differently. I.e. simple, clever and all integrated. I find it works perfectly. I can't be asked to scroll through screens of apps. I need phone, contacts, emails, texting and social media right there. Don't want to have to install itunes, apps, etc. That's what i get here.
I am now listening to Nokia music having connected my phone to my stereo. Again, no set-up/apps was required and music selection is good. It's a mix done for you; I chose classic rock theme and have listened so far to Pulp, Stairway to Heaven, U2: The Joshua Tree, simon & Garfunkel, currently playing Sweet home alabama.
I think there is a few things that could be improved but I can't really say if it's part of the Apple or Android experience.
I rate it 4.5 out of 5. Superb design, superb screen, intuitive navigation and ease of use. It simply works and looks awesome out of the box.