"Honest Opinion"4.0 starson by soulstar254
Pros: 1) Multitasking
6) Ease of use as a media drive or an iPod
8) Sprint Network and Plans
Cons: 1) Battery Life (initially terrible, but now much better)
2) Cramped Keyboard
3) Volume of Ringtones and Calls
4) Misc inconveniences
Summary: First off, this is the best phone I've ever owned. I was very open to purchasing other smartphones, but with the great design, coupled with a reliable network, and most affordable plans, the decision was easy
1) Design - there is no better phone out there that feels so good in your hand and your pocket. It's small, sleek, and sexy. Three words that define great electronic device designs. Some reviews called it too plasticky; however if you get the touchstone wireless charger, it comes with a new batter cover that makes it feel less like a toy and much more expensive. The touchstone batter cover has a matte finish and gives it a more elegant and expensive look!
2) Multitasking is phenomenal. I can be on speakerphone via touchstone charger and still send text messages out. Game-changer is overused when describing the OS, but it really does fit the description.
3) Synergy is great! Never worry again about loosing your contacts if your phone is destroyed or lost. It's all in the cloud. When a contact changes their FB picture, you and your phone know about it. How great is that?!
4) The camera is fast and takes great photos! Love the fact that it has an LED screen as well. No video recording, but it is highly rumored that will come via 3rd party app
5) Screen is great. CNET thinks so. So do I.
6) iTunes thinks the Pre is an iPod. Syncing is too easy and not a hassle at all
7) The touchstone is more than amazing. No one has put more thought into a phones design than Palm this year. Great work folks!
8) Sprint Network - forget what you heard. There is not another carrier in the country that provides it's customers with a network that is super fast, reliable, and wonderfully priced plans. Night minutes start at 7, navigation isn't extra, and over a 2 year contract, the next cheapest plan on a different carrier costs $500 more! I say it again, forget what you heard about Sprint. They are doing way better than years ago.
Now the bad
1) Battery life is not so good. You will have to charge your phone every day under normal use. Heavy heavy use, you'll be doing it twice.
2) Keyboard is cramped. With more practice, it's not an issue, but typing is not something to brag about.
3) The volume of the ringtones is something left to be desired - same for volume of calls. I hope a fix is in the work. With other programs you can increase the volume of ringers, but it is annoyance and inconvenience to do so.
4) Misc inconveniences - low number of apps (right now), can't forward text messages, and no visual voicemail
Bottomline: Unless you are biased to start, this phone will change your opinion of Sprint and Palm. The design is spectacular and the OS is the best period and exclamation point. Have an open mind. The Pre will not let you down. Palm hit an inside the park homerun with this device. I expect the next generation to be a grand slam. Smartphone game, you have just been changed.